View Single Post
03/03/14, 01:43 AM   #7
Krik
Again another great piece of information, that I will definitely tap at the next round of beta testing.

I use to do mods about 5 or 6 years ago in WoW, haven't touch Lua since. However I do a lot of programing, I have worked with somewhere around 13 programing languages in the 20+ year I have been programming. Some of the work I do is fixing what someone else has screwed up and I have some great techniques for finding information about functions and bugs when working with someone else's code. Of course all my techniques have been developed over years of experience. This beta was 2 and a half days, in which I managed to get a very simple mod completed (no screenshots so I can't upload it yet, one more test run wouldn't hurt either). So I really didn't feel I had the time to look into ways to extract how the functions works. Of course as soon as I see that part of me goes duh, I keep seeing things that remind me of one programming language or another. And that's the other hassles I ran into this weekend. I am use to needing to look up xyz function in abc language (you can't know everything), but with Lua anytime I tried doing a search all that came up was stuff related to WoW. I would guess some of the results would have the answer, but I would need a better working knowledge of the WoW API to parse out the irrelevant parts. Lua is a super easy language but with all the information buried in obscure websites it makes it much more difficult than it really is.

Oh did I mention, again, that should be in the wiki. Anyone that knows programing knows that techniques like that are worth their weight in gold and can save huge amounts of time and hassle just having that info readily available.

EDIT: after posting that I thought got any other good tips

EDIT: A continuation of the previous edit. Maybe there should be a sticky'ed tips a tricks thread. If you can get 4 or 5 good tips in that and it could really prove useful.

Last edited by Krik : 03/03/14 at 01:53 AM.