Thread: Censorship
View Single Post
07/31/17, 02:31 PM   #17
Dolgubon

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
Maybe for the future, you could add some sort of reputation system? New addon authors without a reputation are not allowed to upload binaries. And when someone tries to download an addon with a binary from someone with low reputation they get a big warning telling them that it might be very dangerous?
I think an automated reputation system would be a good idea. Probably the simplest implementation would be based on # of downloads.

Also, it seems like many of the complaints are that binaries could contain anything. Maybe a solution would be to completely disallow addon authors to upload binary files, and have the site admins get the source, and then compile it and upload it. I don't know much about compiling stuff though so that might not be feasible.

As for being able to write Lua code - that is definitely bad. Here's just a few things that could be done: Destroy all items, promote random (or specific) people to be a guild's GM, prevent grouping, crash the game, hinder PvP. Some of that is relatively contrived, but it's still probably not a good idea.

Originally Posted by Sordrak View Post
Well, i agree with a few things and disagree with some of the things you wrote.

Let's start with the comment where i got quoted "blah-blah-blah". I never wrote that.

Sorry about that then, I was going off of the so-called 'quoted' text. Which does bring something up a bit with quoted text, that can be changed to be a bit malicious.