View Single Post
05/12/17, 09:15 PM   #18
BigMons

Thumbs up Yes!

Originally Posted by Anceane View Post
Actually i created a guild in ESO, just to be able to keep things in mind, on a channel : help for quest, help for places i need to find, i am alone in it. (its a copy past channel from internet to game)
I actually had one of these for the exact same use in LOTRO. It was my own channel. It has been a very long time since I played LOTRO, but I think one of the things that I used it for was a command that would spit out my character location coordinates or something along those lines. I just sent it to my personal chat. I used it to test things or for notes or whatever. There was also a group of my coworkers (5 or 6 of us) that played LOTRO, but we were not all in the same guilds due to raiding and other in-game activities. We had our own private channel where we could communicate with one another. It worked very well, and seems like a pretty basic chat function that ESO lacks.

In WoW, the one very useful function that I can remember us using custom channels for was cross-guild communications. My WoW guild was too large for everyone to fit into one guild, so we had two guilds and used an addon to relay guild chat through a private channel so that people in both guilds could communicate seamlessly as long as everyone was running the addon. We could also use the addon to communicate with a completely separate guild that we sometimes organized raids with. This relay channel and addon was immensely useful. I don't recall the addon name as it has been several years since I used it, but I think this addon (linked below) does the same thing and could possibly be based on the addon that we used.
https://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/greenwall

I'm sure the back-end implementation cannot just be copied from WoW or LOTRO or whatever, but the ideas for how it should work, like the commands and options, could probably be borrowed from other games. I doubt these ideas are copyrighted since it's pretty broad. Otherwise, we wouldn't have zone chat, group chat, whispers, etc. since other MMOs already have those. Custom/private chat channels would be tremendously useful, especially if addons can communicate with other copies of the same addon that are run by other players. It's hard to imagine the possibilities if you haven't played WoW and experienced some of the things that can be done with addons over there.