ESOUI

ESOUI (https://www.esoui.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Authoring Discussion (https://www.esoui.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=174)
-   -   "borrowing" code snippets (https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1979)

esothomas 07/22/14 10:15 AM

people, please... :)

the bottom line is that the radar minimap addon was attacked (and it got contained). we don't need to attack each other too. right? right. :)

Randactyl 07/22/14 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esothomas (Post 10777)
people, please... :)
we don't need to attack each other too. right? right. :)

Exactly. Thus thread was started as a question of where authors think the line should be drawn between borrowing an idea or plagiarizing code. This witch hunt is not only off topic in the thread, it's off topic for the entire sub-forum.

Cool your jets, and enjoy your day;)

deathangel1479 07/26/14 06:52 PM

Goes on with zrmm...
Or I am paranoid?
I give two example...

Abstract function, created by me. Its a bad result, but it works great for cyrodil links update...
That is one thing with a impossible chance, that two author make same...
RMM:
Lua Code:
  1. --Show Map Hidden
  2. function RMM.WorldMapUpdate()
  3.     ZO_WorldMap_UpdateMap()
  4.     ZO_WorldMap:SetAlpha(0)
  5.     ZO_WorldMap:SetHidden(false)
  6.     zo_callLater(RMM.WorldMapReset, 100)
  7. end
  9. --Hide Map
  10. function RMM.WorldMapReset()
  11.     ZO_WorldMap:SetHidden(true)
  12.     ZO_WorldMap:SetAlpha(1)
  13. end
zrmm:
Lua Code:
  1. --------------------------------------------------
  2. -- WorlMap refresh
  3. --------------------------------------------------
  4. function MM_WorldMapRefresh()
  5.     ZO_WorldMap:SetAlpha(0)
  6.     ZO_WorldMap:SetHidden(false)
  7.     ZO_WorldMap_PanToPlayer()
  8.     zo_callLater(MM_WorldMapRefreshStop,20)
  9. end
  11. function MM_WorldMapRefreshStop()
  12.     ZO_WorldMap:SetHidden(true)
  13.     ZO_WorldMap:SetAlpha(1)
  14. end
OK, its not the same, he changed a line and changed callLater value... :P

zrmm now has tooltips, I added it two weeks ago(two days work to understand correctly, rebuild from worldmap and much testing).

True, some thinks you must do like worldmap, so there must be parallels, but so exactly same?

The worldmap build a list of tooltips when you hover more than one pins.
I dont do it, because to much work, single was ok for me...
WOW, what a coincidence, same for zrmm author...

What he thinking?
That I code new features for him?
"I can concentrate on stable and performans and all other I get from other addons." Or what?

I got the result for nearly no fps drop(much better as worldmap itself), but I wont build it, because it is real much work and I am sure, other will be copy it then...

Sasky 07/27/14 10:47 PM

Yes, it does look very similar. However, this isn't something that should be aired in the forums unless the ESOUI admins are completely unresponsive.

1. Contact the author directly for him to remove the code or add credit.
2. If that doesn't go well, contact one of the admins - PM or using the Report File option. Note sections to make your point and indicate any results from (1).
3. If you don't get a response or appropriate action from the admins, then consider airing in the forums.

#1 and #2 can get something done about it. #3 cannot, unless the author or an admin review the thread, in which case #1 or #2 would've gotten you directly there.

Cairenn 07/27/14 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasky (Post 10913)
Yes, it does look very similar. However, this isn't something that should be aired in the forums unless the ESOUI admins are completely unresponsive.

1. Contact the author directly for him to remove the code or add credit.
2. If that doesn't go well, contact one of the admins - PM or using the Report File option. Note sections to make your point and indicate any results from (1).
3. If you don't get a response or appropriate action from the admins, then consider airing in the forums.

#1 and #2 can get something done about it. #3 cannot, unless the author or an admin review the thread, in which case #1 or #2 would've gotten you directly there.

This. A thousand times, this.