ESOUI

ESOUI (https://www.esoui.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Authoring Discussion (https://www.esoui.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=174)
-   -   File Out / Chatlog (https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276)

Lodur 03/14/14 05:11 PM

File Out / Chatlog

So as of this beta the d(string) function no longer goes to the chat log.

Any one know any other way to inject messages into the chat log or write to file?

My ACT plugin is pretty useless without the ability to get a combat log.

Xrystal 03/14/14 05:15 PM

I've always used CHAT_SYSTEM:AddMessage() function.

ingeniousclown 03/15/14 01:15 AM

Does it really not? I've been playing with it tonight and d() has been working as usual for me.

Lodur 03/15/14 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xrystal (Post 1260)
I've always used CHAT_SYSTEM:AddMessage() function.

Thanks. Just tried that, but it did not work. It is filtered out of the chat log output for /chatlog.

Xzandro 03/15/14 06:15 AM

Maybe SendChatMessage(msg, channel)?

Lodur 03/15/14 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xzandro (Post 1293)
Maybe SendChatMessage(msg, channel)?

I have tried this one too.

Say, Shout and whisper to myself seem to work. I went through every channel with a test message..

But say and shout of a combat log will not fly... people around me will hate that.

Whisper has a message rate cap. Entering combat and by the 2nd ability I used I was "logged out" instantly for "a message rate limit was reached". I did not test say the shout for the rate limit. but I bet they are there.

Thanks

Lodur 03/15/14 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ingeniousclown (Post 1288)
Does it really not? I've been playing with it tonight and d() has been working as usual for me.

It still goes to the chat window in game. I am specifically talking about the ChatLog.log file that chat messages are written to when the /chatlog command is used.

Aldazar 03/19/14 03:24 AM

This might be a bit offtopic. But since you all report it is working for you I have a question.

I haven't been able to write anything to the chatbox at all. I tried
Code:

CHAT_SYSTEM:AddMessage()
d()

both to no avail. Since I see it working in a lot of other addons, what am I missing? Is there anything I need to register for in order to use this functions?

Thanks in advance.

Seerah 03/19/14 03:28 PM

When are you using those? If it's in your addon and the UI hasn't finished loading yet when you call them, they won't print to the chat frame.

Vuelhering 03/19/14 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lodur (Post 1303)
But say and shout of a combat log will not fly... people around me will hate that.

ROFL, I just pictured that hilarity.

Once I was debugging something in wow, and accidentally spewed random debug messages into guildchat. Lots of messages. Naturally I wasn't reading guild chat, so I didn't even realize until later.

Aldazar 03/20/14 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seerah (Post 1452)
When are you using those? If it's in your addon and the UI hasn't finished loading yet when you call them, they won't print to the chat frame.

Thanks for the answer. I just have it at addon load time.
What event indicates that the UI has loaded?

ins 03/20/14 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aldazar (Post 1493)
Thanks for the answer. I just have it at addon load time.
What event indicates that the UI has loaded?

I see some people use a hidden frame with a onupdate and lets it count up to a pre-determined value before printing any output to the chat log. The other is ADDON LOADED which is 'too early' for chat messages to appear.

Seerah 03/20/14 03:11 PM

I have had some luck with EVENT_PLAYER_ACTIVATED, however that fires at times other than just at load.