View Single Post
03/20/14, 02:46 PM   #28
inDef
Originally Posted by Vuelhering View Post
While I mostly agree with your overall assessment, those were not the only two options. They had the option to leave it as it was. They had the option to make those all protected, and not function in cyridil. There were lots of other options, too.

I do have to chuckle at the "there goes my preorder" comment from a non addon author. For all we know, they could've added that functionality into the base ui. He was obviously looking for a reason to drop the preorder. It could've been a 1 hour delay on launch and I'm sure that would've been plenty good enough to cancel for him.

In any case, it does help with one thing, and that was a fear that the best addons win in PvP. This helps level that playing field, but it makes little sense in pve to not be able to see your own and your group's buffs/debuffs.

Other than that, I see no meaningful issues.
All my point was is that it's better to remove all of it before launch and then start adding back functionality slowly based on user feedback.

For the way the game is now, none of these changes matter. Cyrodiil is not a competitive PvP platform. While I greatly respect Wykkyd, I disagree that it is important to know exactly what is or isn't killing you or your friend. In massive zerg fights none of that information matters. In smaller scale fights it does matter...but when there is no penalty or stake in winning or losing...again, it doesn't really matter.

If they add arena or some kind of competitive PvP scenario... then all of the information they removed from the API will need to be re-introduced and built into the default UI.

Until then, I feel that all of these changes are fine.