View Single Post
09/03/15, 09:50 AM   #38
Fyrakin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by ZOS_ChipHilseberg View Post
Internally we haven't experienced any noticable change in performance of the stock UI (which runs as an addon the same as the custom addons). So any information on what in particular is triggering the performance problems you are seeing is helpful. Why do you think OnTextureLoaded is involved?
Because after update, while on PTS I was experiencing severe performance degrade compared to what was on-live. Its just my theory, suspicion, superstition, etc. Well, to be honest we have very limited profiling means/tools. Just a game client and strong will to do something. We have no luxury to monitor which process utilizes most resources so we have to do it on try and error basis. So, based on /script d(collectgarbage("count")) output I observed a very fast lua memory usage increase I was comparing it to how it ran on live and pts, these figures haven't changed.

So, as you suggested I changed sethandler setting during add-on init for most of the texture add-on would use (handlers mostly for tooltips). I even moved anonymous functions to predeclared ones. I didn't see any change in resource consumption and I haven't noticed any signifficant performance improvement. SO, what else you would suggest us to do? I as many others would like to have minimap functionality, but at current state it is to say the least is not usable.

Follow up.
I managed to address the performance issues. Even though I no longer use my own tables to store and manage custom pin data I still observed fast collectgarbage("count") build up.

Last edited by Fyrakin : 09/03/15 at 10:27 PM.