Thread: Two 100012 Bugs
View Single Post
09/03/15, 09:09 PM   #4
circonian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
About the chat container creation bug:
If we simulate it, how are we able to "reset" the new container afterwards?
Or is the simulation not updating the server side container counter (as you guessed) and we are stuck with a new container we cannot remove?
If you want to simulate it to play with it, it can be fixed by using this code:
Lua Code:
  1. local numContainers = GetNumChatContainers()
  2. for i = numContainers, 2, -1 do
  3.     RemoveChatContainer(i)
  4. end
My main point about that bug was just that although multiple chat windows is not a finished or enabled feature and it would require an addon messing with stuff to create the problem, it is a serious bug (in my opinion) because it can only be fixed by code, the game cannot correct the problem itself.

Even though the solution (to stop the errors, not fix the problem) turned out to be quite simple, it still took me a while to track down what was causing it & find a solution. If someone accidently created that problem, then they would be stuck with the error & they would have no way of fixing it since uninstalling the addon, reloading the ui, or even reinstalling does not fix it. They would be forced to do what I did and track down the problem & find a way to fix it with code. Since I already did that I thought it was worth creating a post about it in case it happens to anyone else.

Last edited by circonian : 09/03/15 at 09:41 PM.