View Single Post
01/22/16, 11:57 PM   #15
BornDownUnder
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
a) Add a new rank system (as in low, mid, high) that is based on a players performance in pve. The ranking is kept separate for heal, tank and dps performance of a player and is scaled by the current average population performance. There are x numbers of divisions and the group finder then matches only players from the same rank or one below. Players can see their own ranking in the UI. That way they know how "good" they are compared to the overall population and they can work towards a better rank in order to find better groups.
Unfortunately I think implementing a scoring system would almost guarantee destruction of the current population that uses the group finder tool, at this point in time.
Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
b) Change the group finder into a lobby style system where someone can open a group, define what they are looking for, add a custom text and it shows in a list (like ages ago in Diablo 2). Players then can filter and select a group they think is a match for them (WYSWYG) or just say "I don't care" and get automatched. This would also make the current chat based lfg spam unnecessary, because the group finder would become the same thing in a global space. It would thus increase the pool size for the group finder and make finding a group faster.
I think this is quite possible, the down-side is players giving up on using the text-based note system and then the group finder tool in general as a result of so many other players posting for the similar type of run (If not the exact same run)

The issue I believe that really is at heart the fact the group finder tool was broken and cast aside for so long.

We have only just got a basic group finder tool that functions... Now we need the community base to accept and really start using the group finder tool.

Therefore I think the best course of action to take is to look at refining the group finder tool, optimizing it to produce groups faster... Before implementing extra features, such as performance/utilization of specific API functions to designate whether you are to be partied with another player or not, we need the general community of ESO to grow more accustomed to the group finder tool.

With the group finder tool, a method of optimization could be assigning categories (queues) to group placement.
  • First category would be pairing DpS as they are most abundant in the group finder.
  • Second category would be pairing those two DpS that are now grouped with a tank or healer.
  • Third category would be placing the now 3-man group with the placement of the last remaining role.
I think an option to leave things as they are for the time being and letting the community as a whole get used to utilizing the group finder tool again, without changing the API to restrict what is currently available so ZoS and authors of addons that utilize those specific API functions to draw data from can monitor the general consensus on acceptance/tolerance of the current addon GroupDamage, would be the best course of action to take.

Sorry if it was TLTR...

I really like the idea of communications with the community in regards to API features, many thanks to you Chip for being one of the most 'vocal' ZoS employees.