View Single Post
11/09/21, 11:01 AM   #1
YesImBattman

Questions from a New Dev (wanna-be)?

Hello all!

I have been lurking here for some time. I play daily (religiously) and have become quite familiar with most of the 40+ addons I use for my personal gaming, many of which were written by some of the most popular Devs here (you know who you are)

I am an old dude (nearly 60), have been an IT professional for 30+ years and have experience in web, comm, and bbs development (who remembers computers in the 80s?). With that I have decided to try my hand at the thankless hobby of ESO Addon development. I have developed a few QoL addons for myself and friends but after recently opening my mouth to request updates from an author here I was offered control over those developed by that author.

So, to jump right in I have a few (very) basic questions that might seem commonplace to the mega-experienced authors here but will certainly help me and may help others (in future) to get started.

1) I currently use Notepad++ to maintain the addons I use and the few I have authored but not released. I'd like to know if there is a better IDE out there supporting autocomplete & ESO APIs? Many of the threads I've read on this topic seem quite aged.

2) One of my first tasks will be to bump API support for those addons I now maintain. What process do you use to validate API support? Details would be great!

3) Can you please describe your development environment? Do you develop and test in the PTS? Any tips on making life easier for the beginner dev?

4) What practices should I avoid? I appreciate that BearTram quite often offers valuable advice to keep devs on the right path. I also VERY MUCH appreciate the wiki!

5) Other than 'Run!', what's your go-to advice for the first time addon dev?

Thanks in advance!