View Single Post
04/28/14, 11:02 AM   #5
ingeniousclown
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The problem lies in the fact that there is only ONE way to figure out exactly what research line any item belongs to, and it is by exhaustively checking research lines to see if that item is researchable. If that trait is already researched for that research line, then you suddenly have no way of knowing in which research line an item belongs. It sucks, but that's the truth of it.

With that in mind, I was thinking about this in more detail this morning and came up with a new idea that would make this work in an incomplete and limited, yet functional way. It WOULD be possible to add this, but the functionality MUST operate under this assumption:
You track Blacksmithing on Character A.
Character B never ever EVER researches any trait for Blacksmithing.

If you have a single Blacksmithing trait researched on character B for whatever reason, then the icon made for that trait may not be correct for character A. I can easily shout in huge bold letters that this is a requirement for reliability, but that won't stop people from shouting to the world that my add-on is unreliable. As such, if I do this it will be as a separate plug-in for Research Assistant and not as an extra feature.

Again, the problem lies not in knowing what traits are researched or not. That's the easy part. The problem lies solely in the lack of exposed WeaponType and ArmorType for items.

As for creating the dependency with Research Grid, I appreciate the offer but saving each character's research status is simple enough for it to not be necessary to create a dependency on RG. At the same time, though, it would lighten up the amount of work I would need to do (even if only a little bit) and give us some good cross-exposure for our add-ons. I don't think you need to worry about making users specify which professions they care about, though. That's for me to worry about, all I would have to do is ask your add-on if (craftskill, researchlineindex, traitindex) is researched or not, assuming the above requirements are met to allow me to extract the researchlineindex from an item.