View Single Post
01/06/22, 07:49 PM   #1
Nexmar
Extension to a AddOn

Hi

I have tried doing my own AddOn some time ago, mainly easy stuff like automating quest dialogs. My ESO API and LUA knowledge is quite limited and I hope this is the right place to ask my question.

I would like to expand someone elses AddOn with some more functionality. Basically I would like to make a AddOn that depends on someone elses AddOn and does stuff once the other AddOn has some event / update event occur. I know I could just copy the relevant code and checks from the original AddOn over to mine, but I think it would be nicer if I could integrate with the original AddOn.

Example:
The AddOn has registered for an event, the event occurs and the AddOns function gets called, it then evaluates what happened and registers for an update event to call anothe function a bit delayed. Now I want my AddOn to do something once this update event occurs.

Generally I would like to know if this is even possible, or if I should just copy the relevant functions and register my own events and do the same checks the original AddOn does in my AddOn again, leading to more overhead. I guess the easiest would be to edit the original AddOn, but patching my changes in after every update seems stupid.

I hope my idea is not completely stupid, every help is aprectiated.