View Single Post
02/16/23, 04:26 AM   #5
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
It certainly seems a shame that the wiki isn't as updated. Is there a plan to update it in the future, with some more relevant & up-to-date information?
Feel free to update it, it's a WIKI and all need to participate to do so.
We are doing what is possibl within our free time but updating ALL of that each time, after each API txt changes is just not possible as you cannot load all the info in there automatically, it would overwrite existing info and invalidate working links to already created "subpages".
So this either needs to be revamped and someone needs to find out all already created subpages and make it failsafe for automatic updates, or ... manually changes for thousands of lines and links...

Also, I was aware of the TXT being the most up-to-date API version while I was initially making SimpleClock. I took a look and it's very difficult for me to understand. I could be wrong, but at first glance it seems like there is no documentation on how the functions in the API work/when events could be triggered. I know you could **guess** based on the names of the functions/events, but as I'm sure you are aware - that's not great. Do you know of any information that helps someone like me, who isn't aware of the ins and outs of the API, learn about what the functions/events do? The wiki.esoui.com/API page seemed to be going in the right direction (some of the functions were more clearly defined - like this one), but I know that it's very incomplete.
It's a just a "list" txt file of given global constants, types (e.g. BAG_TYPE ->BAG_BACKPACK, BAG_BANK, ...), events, functions etc. in a documentation format that ZOs uses.
Nothing more or less -> API Docu without any description what they do in detail.
You can see by the names and parameters of the functions what types are used, and those types can be searched in the file (at the top somewhere) to see the constants that were defined.

There is no further documentation, all you need to find is in the ESOUI source code: Search for the functions in there e.g. to find out how ESO (ZOs developers) does things.
Check the file structure of the esoui sources (e.g. /ingame/crafting) to get the surrounding where it is used.
It's more or less a "search and find" and then "check code how it's done" and "reuse ZOs code or hook into etc".

I'm afraid, there is nothing more documented except parts are explained at the WIKI.
And there won't ever be more unless someone starts to document that all in more detail and depth (but it also changes with patches, sometimes less, sometimes a lot).

There exist tools to parse the file and create files for other IDEs like VScode or IntelliJ IDEA etc. so you got some auto completion and function parameter helpers.

Last edited by Baertram : 02/16/23 at 11:02 AM.