Thread: Addon Etiquette
View Single Post
04/24/14, 01:30 PM   #43
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by LilBudyWizer View Post
One is media libraries or databases where the size can be substantial.
LibMediaProvider only comes with media contained in the game files by default. If anyone wants to create an extra package of media for the library to pull from, that is a separately installed addon.

For databases, just like the library code, only one set will be retained in memory. The rest will not be. If your hard drive has 500GB on it, I don't see how 1MB makes a difference. If your computer has 8GB of RAM, I don't see how 1MB of static memory makes a difference (it will even disappear when the garbage collector runs next).

The other is where the library provides an interface for the user. ZAM Stats is an example of that. It's not a library, but should be. It should be using LibStub and not ZAM_Stats. It really is a library with an example of using it.
Now this is not true. ZAM_Stats is a framework - an addon with an open API so that additional plugins may be created for and installed with it. It is in no way a library.

I'm really baffled as to how Seerah avoids saved variables since, as far as I know, it's the only way to write a file.
I never said that I don't use saved variables. I said that I don't use ZOS's special saved variables API. Whatever the name of your saved variable is in the .txt file, whatever you set that to in your code, that variable will be saved upon /reloadui or logout. It works the exact same way in WoW.