Thread: Addon Etiquette
View Single Post
04/25/14, 05:24 AM   #49
Vicster0

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Joviex View Post
You mean like all the updating that Wykkyd does for the mhQuestTools for which I wrote an extension?
Everytime he updates, I have to first check for diffs in his own code.
one of his modules uses CR line endings, which makes it look like every single line changed since the module I commit uses CR+LF.
So, I first have to save the module he edited, with CR+LF, to make sure the diff runs correct.
Same for any stray whitespace, which is why, in SciTE I have a pre-time save that strips whitespace from the end of lines =)
I can deal with it, but we were, someone was, asking for standards. I consider that to be a standard, and, to the point above, nicer when you have multiple people say, working in/on a library of functionality that is shared.
If it is local and solo then do whatever the heck you want!
Maybe I'm crazy but I feel like the "standard" you are looking for here is something that has been historically sought after in the coding world for some time...

I think the issue you are highlighting here is less of an ESO UI Modification Standardization issue and more of a global code formatting issue. In my line of work, I regularly switch between Windows, Linux, and MacOS(yes, just still Linux, I know) systems, transferring files between them all many many times just in a single day. The CR+LF or LF only is something I need to be cognizant of at all times. I feel your pain, but I don't think it's a battle that needs to be fought here.

I believe we should be focusing on standards, conventions, and techniques where it relates to the code itself and less the formatting and white space.

This is quickly turning into a conversation about Indent/Bracing styles. A conversation that I personally LOATHE.