View Single Post
10/14/23, 02:29 PM   #1
sinnereso
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Question string.find or string.sub question

Ive been messing with thew new ingame pvp kill feed which i love but I wanted to refine ot to a mmore personal level to not spam out my chat So ive added it to my addon but have been having ocasional popup error which I haven't found the exact cause of.

The new EVENT_PVP_KILL_FEED_DEATH is perfect for my need but has some issues. it fires twice for every kill/death so ive had to make a switch to not display same data twice which was easy enough but now I have a rare popup error "expected integer, got nil" on this line:

Code:
victomCharacterName = victomCharacterName:sub(victomCharacterName:find("^%w+%s*"))
ive been trying different ways to basically strip off the ^M and ^F off the character names to display them in chat. ive tried:

Code:
"^%w+%s*"
"^%w+(%s%w+)"
"^%w+%s*%w*%s*%w*%s*%w*%s*%w*"
its random and works fine 99% of the time. I cant tell if its just too many events too fast issue or something in my code. any ideas?

error example:
Code:
bad argument #2 to 'string.sub' (integer expected, got nil)
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'string.sub'
user:/AddOns/RidinDirty/RidinDirty.lua:1626: in function 'RidinDirty.KillFeedAudio'
|caaaaaa<Locals> eventCode = 131386, killLocation = "Chalman Keep", killerDisplayName = "@sinnereso", killerCharacterName = "Michael Cullen^Mx", killerAlliance = 2, killerRank = 50, victomDisplayName = "@Irishpierre", victomCharacterName = "Imize^Mx", victomAlliance = 1, victomRank = 16 </Locals>|r
line1626 is the 1st code example:
Code:
victomCharacterName = victomCharacterName:sub(victomCharacterName:find("^%w+%s*"))

Last edited by sinnereso : 10/14/23 at 02:46 PM.