View Single Post
05/14/14, 05:25 PM   #28
Xrystal
caritas omnia vincit

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by stjobe View Post
So, today a new addon is published - StatsViewer. Since I'm myself the author of a similar addon, of course I download it to see how he's done his code - perhaps I can learn a new trick or two.

Eyeing through the code I soon realize it looks awfully similar, not to my code, but to another stats addon, ShowMyStats.

So I download ShowMyStats and do a diff; care to guess the results?

Now I don't know if the two authors have been in contact, nor do I know if the author of ShowMyStats care, but to me that is a bit too much of a copy-paste job to not have at least some sort of acknowledgement on it.
Maybe not. Looking at both those codes and I could type a whole new addon of a similar vein, if I'd had the idea, and have it almost look the same. I would have ordered the layout of my control functions very similarly (not visually maybe - which these are not), and I would have an update routine to update the values. I would have a control name similarly name AddonName_SpecificTypeName_ControlType etc. It's pretty standard. And the rest for the most part are standard functions which of course you can't change.

Coincidence, quite a possibility. Malicious, maybe not. My suggestion: Instead of bringing it into the public eye and posting on the addon's page, maybe you could have been discreet and messaged one of them to find out whether either had a problem with it.