View Single Post
05/08/14, 05:33 PM   #6
Kentarii
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I agree that he might have crossed the line, but mostly in the sense in how he went about the process.

I've looked at dozens of addons while trying to learn the ropes with addon development and Lua, but refrained from copy/paste (except from the wiki).
But lately, I just refer to the wiki page, zgoo and sometimes the Lua documentation.

Just to play the devil's advocate I'm gonna throw some questions out there:

Would you have been honored if he first approached you and asked politely if he could create an addon based on yours?

Are we addon developers too much attached to the ownership of our own source code?
The addon developer community isn't that big (at least not on IRC with 30'ish people hanging around).

How long does it take for an addon to be abandoned by an author who stops playing the game?

Would it be better if we all started hosting our projects on Github so people can fork off and do their own "improvements" and post pull requests which you can use or reject?

One example of an addon which have been "forked" is ZrMM, and we're all better for it.

PS. I'm using my own private subversion server atm for my addon, but consider moving it to ESOUI's git server. The licensing I chose for my code was CC by-nc-sa 4.0.

Last edited by Kentarii : 05/08/14 at 05:36 PM.