View Single Post
09/17/15, 03:19 AM   #10
dopiate
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Whatever - thats great - I'm done with this.

Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
I second this. Instead of replacing specific formatting strings you should use a regex and strip it regardless of the format in use.

or if you already stripped the name you can simply write
Guys, I didn't come here for programming advice :-)

I wrote GSA over a year ago. My routines work fine and all I am doing is supporting an addon for a game I hardly play anymore. I'm doing what an author should do, support your own work!

It survived Patch 6 with zero changes. This is the first time I HAVE EVER had to update the database format. Did you know I get the rarity of the item and change the color?

Please, now tell me how my code is wrong and how I could do it better without ever seeing what I wrote or knowing how I did it?

I came here looking to get a few more items to check for since in the offline database the items are already written incorrectly.

I easily fixed incoming data and I fixed the users existing database (most of them have 6 months of data or more) -- that was 10x harder than parsing the item link.

I came here to maybe get some more items from GSA users and I got none, so my post was a complete failure.

My code was already done.

The last thing I needed was tons of advice on something I don't need (how to parse a string) and LUA code for my VB.NET program.

I'm done with this thread, it's closed to me. It was actually more frustrating than useful.

You guys can argue the best way to write code to do something I never needed help with.

I'll go back to supporting my users. You know, the ones who put you on the top of their "Recommended Addons!" list.

That's who I code for. That's who I was trying to get more items for. The people who use my addon.

-d

Last edited by dopiate : 09/17/15 at 03:23 AM.