Thread: Addon Etiquette
View Single Post
04/20/14, 10:35 AM   #5
Joviex

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by NonameFTW View Post
So it would be a good thing in my opinion if authors started to use the addonname as a setting name. If it's part of series then use the Series name.
Totally agree on this point. Right now the add-On transfer settings tool I wrote presents the saved variables, but the variable names are pretty ugly in some cases.

What would be nice is if a standard was established, like, if you are going to use non-global/accountwide saved settings, you should have a variable in your savedvariable table called "pretty name" or something similar.

This would allow other tool(s) to present settings for manipulation in a much more readable and trackable way.

Just one example of standards. I also use standards as I use at my day job. Tabs, not spaces (though completely up to whomever), I strip all extra white space and I use CR+LF for EOLs.

The above things allow me to do kdiffs very easily without getting a lot of "non" changed changes, especially the white space strip.

Originally Posted by Stormknight View Post
Ultimately it's going to take a while as people have jobs and want to play the game also.
And exactly this.

I am a sw engineer by day, and I really want to play the game LOL. I think I have one character @ level 12 (my highest) and that was just from sheer testing of the quest tracker. o.0

I really enjoy the game, and I want to help others enjoy it too, and if there are standards that would be great, but no one is really getting paid. Donations are nice =) but I dont even ask for them.

So, its not a job is what I am saying.