View Single Post
06/30/23, 07:46 AM   #26
sinnereso
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by ExoY View Post
You honestly need to take a step back and rethink some of the stuff you write.

I can attest from experience (also started with no coding background) that the community around esoui/ addon development is very nice and forthcomming.

It is sad, that just because somebody says something you disagree with (in this case baertram) you automatically assume an alternative motive.... thats not a good approach.

I completely understand the frustration some people display with you in the forum.
Generally asking questions is nothing bad, and is what the forum is for but:
  • you often have disregarded solutions or suggestions by people with far more experience than you.
  • it sometimes makes the impression, that you just immediatly post a question when something is not working. I am aware that how to properly debug a problem (seperate into individual tasks, test them seperately etc) is also something that needs to be learned... but I think you definitely should look into that. (e.g. You said you have difficulty with tables. Then just build a few minimalistic examples, play around with it. Look how other addons do stuff and so on)
  • the original aspect of this thread (working with string) is a good example. There are so many examples out there you can find immedietly with google. Of course you often dont find the solution for your exact problem, but all the information are a good starting point to test around. It makes it very hard to believe when you say, you spend so much time looking for some stuff and couldnt find anything.
  • as been pointed out many times, the idea of the forum is not for other people to just give you the solution. There are many people arround here, who probably can fix the problems you post within a few minutes. The goal is rather to give you some general keywords/links for additional resources so you can figure it out yourself..... kinda a "teach a man to fish" thing.

So I agree completely with Baertram, you need to reflect a little on how you use the forum.
Well in the example of this thread.. It took me nearly a whole day searching just to "discover" those symbols are called magic symbols which is what I needed to be searching for. Its sometimes hard to find what your looking for if you dont know what its even called in the 1st place. I spent 2 days researching them and couldnt find any reference to the capitol S, therefore I couldn't fully understand the sample I was using.

I have considered and maybe I should make a small alternate addon for testing small functions and stuff like that.

My point was I have no hostility to anyone in this thread but have myself been somewhat attacked multiple times. it is better to just not answer someone if your feeling hostile imo and noone is forcing anyone to answer anything.

Last edited by sinnereso : 06/30/23 at 07:53 AM.