View Single Post
12/21/23, 05:47 PM   #1
sirinsidiator

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Upcoming changes to font rendering in Update 41

I figured since no English thread about the topic existed yet, I'd make one to collect all the info we know so far.

In Update 41 all font rendering will be switched to a new system, which means any addons that contains custom fonts will need to convert them to a new format.
The Demo section on https://sluglibrary.com/ provides a demo program as well as some instructions on how to convert .ttf and .otf files into .slug files in order to test them.

Originally Posted by ZOS_DanBatson
Heads up: Coming in 41 will be a change to the way we do fonts. We're going to be switching to Slug. This won't impact most add-ons, but any add-ons that provide their own fonts will need to do an update. We'll be providing the tool to generate Slug files with the patcher and once things are more finalized I'll provide a walkthrough on esoui.com. In theory, it should just involve taking whatever font you were using, running it through the tool, and using the generated slug file instead. More details to come, hopefully soon. https://sluglibrary.com/
(link to original message)

Originally Posted by ZOS_DanBatson
If you try to set a ttf or otf font, we will not use it and instead fall back to one of our vanilla fonts. Slug will be the only text renderer and it only works with slug files. We might have a mechanism that says "they said ttf, let's see if we can find something of the same name but .slug instead" but I'm not certain about that. But we definitely will not support actual ttf or otf files any longer, they simply will not work.
FreeType will be gone from the code. Only Slug will remain
(link to original message)

From the PTS Patch Notes:
The game now uses a new UI font rendering system. This allows for future improvements to the game and provides small enhancements in some specific situations, such as nameplates and chat bubbles.

Addon creators can find a new tool, slugfont.exe, in the game directory that allows them to update their use of custom fonts to be compatible with the new system. Addons that make use of custom fonts will instead use default fonts until they receive an update, and fonts included with the game will continue to work without requiring an update. Instructions are provided in slugfont_readme.txt.

Last edited by sirinsidiator : 01/29/24 at 01:58 PM.