View Single Post
03/20/14, 06:03 PM   #38
Vuelhering
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Anceane View Post
See even with guild make having voice third party a must to use, you think that this is not good enough or normal ...

This is a debate that will never end, i want, you want, they want, and in finae we will all lost something

I am too old to argue or debate, i guess.
I'm just stating what I see based on the game, not guild policies or some such.

ZO included addon capability, which is a huge boon for THEM. It allows others to develop stuff to correct their own oversights, on a voluntary basis (both by users and programmers). When blizzard did theirs, many addons got incorporated into the basic UI over years, including things like raid frames (ctmod), outfitter (I believe originally from Wykkid, on these boards), and a robust buff/debuff system. They even added voice chat, to prevent having to deal with 3rd party programs for those guilds that forced it. I think any guild can be competitive in raids using only the basic wow UI at this point, although there are definitely some useful mods to help in the boss fights.

Thus, I think ZO is hurting themselves by being too strict with the API interface. If people cannot code up UI issues they find, ZO doesn't get any free programmers willing to code up solutions. In fact, they alienate people who had already started coding such stuff.

What's a shame is that we're getting threads like this. If they had never released the API until now, everyone would be overjoyed. But because they trimmed the API, now people are (rightfully or not) annoyed.