View Single Post
02/14/23, 06:14 PM   #3
wookiefriseur

Thumbs up nice

Thanks for the guide. It's a good vertical slice of the development process. Not too long, not too short and straight to the point. Subscribed

Some suggestions:
  1. VSCode: you can zoom in a bit so your screen is easier to read (Ctrl++, Ctrl+MWheel or Ctrl+Shift+P and search for zoom)
  2. VSCode: try zen mode for a more code focussed view (Ctrl+K->Z chord or Ctrl+Shift+P and search for zen, this hides the side panel which you can enable again using Ctrl+B)
  3. VSCode: if you have a video with a lot of mouse interaction with the code and keyboard combinations you can try screencast mode (Ctrl+Shift+P -> screencast)
  4. Development Process: might just be me, but I think it could be interesting if you also showed some of the research you had to do and your development process (I know its probably supposed to be more of a step-by-step-guide than a code-along)
  5. Git: what's your target audience? If it is for beginners then the "pause the video and learn git" is a bit much , especially without any explanation why this is useful. And then you're just using it to create a zip file, oof
  6. Dos-and-don'ts: I liked that you mentioned some coding conventions and global namespace pollution. It would be good if you also mentioned some problems users might run into.. like zipping the files instead of the parent folder, typical lua errors, other problems. Or you can make a list of problems you run into and once the list is long enough it could be a separate video.
  7. Documentation: I liked that you showed a screenshot for the date format reference. Would be good if you did that for API functions too, from time to time.