View Single Post
06/26/20, 04:55 AM   #4
Keldor

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Micke2nd View Post
Hi Keldor,
the only use case I know is to visualize their locations, what HarvestMap does.
If I would need the locations outside the game, I would reuse HarvestMaps files.

What another use case do you have in mind ?
The advantage of the whole thing is that the data automatically ends up in the database without having to ask the individual users to contribute the data. It is not obligatory to use my data but for one or the other developer it could be a good place to go.

Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
One problem would be to tell the users to use your addon constantly. It will create SavedVariable files that grow a lot as you collect data which is already in multiple other addons you have named yourself -> means BIGsv files -> Long loading screens.
Means 2x big SV files (e.g. harvest map and your colelctor addon= 2x longer loading screens).
They will recognize this and disable your collection addon then.
Since the data is uploaded after every /reload or logout, I have limited the amount of data to be stored in the AddOn, so the SV files shouldn't get really big

Zone data and anmes always redundantly in the tables!
But I wouldn't ALWAYS include the zoneData like names into all the collected information!
It blows up the files and data tables unnecessarily.
Just create a zonedata table with the names maybe and just reference in your other data on the zoneIds then.
Will make fetching data for the thieves, psijic, etc. "slim" as you can always use the build in ESO API functions to get the zoneName ingame.
Or use your other zoneData table as lookup.
All you need is the zoneId e.g.

And I know many addons already who only would need the zoneId + zoneNames in multiple languages. So collecting this data with your collector "as standalone API/table" would be even nice and could be used. e.g. for LibZones, which many other addons re-use then.
I think the thing with the zones is a good point. I will revise that again and only add the zone id. For this there is another API call for the zones, which I also have in the database.

Chests
Do you somehow assure that the collected chests data by multiple users, in the same zone, does not report like "20 chests near by each other", where it actually is only 1 chest spawning at slitghtly different locations?
Or do the addons just grab your total data and need to assure this?
Again a matter of data size here then. You will have 20+ entries but only 1 is needed.
I will publish the AddOn here on ESOUI soon, then you can have a look at the methods how to export the data. I'm also happy to take some advice here to improve or extend the whole thing

Thanks in any case for the questions and suggestions. As I said, the basic idea behind this project is to support developers with their great AddOns which are already available on ESOUI.

Keldor