View Single Post
05/12/14, 09:28 AM   #47
skyraker
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Cato, I like your discussions and thoughts from being a profession programmer, but I agree with others that you tend to be a little terse when disagreeing with others who also claim to be professionals. With what little software development I was able to learn (since I never made it my profession), even I noticed that people do things in different ways for a variety of different reasons. And they all have their preferred methods of doing things. I would have the same attitude if someone insulted how you coded (which I believe someone did in another thread and I was a little more supportive of your response).

You talk about the problem of using OnUpdate because everything in it is called so much. The problem I ran into is that there are many functions in ESO that aren't associated with an event. Take location updates. When you run around there is nothing that can tell an addon that the player's location has changed. So, to update something that can be constantly changing like this I need to call my update function through OnUpdate. Yes, I understand that this could drain resources, but is necessary for the functionality of the addon. What would be your suggestion in such cases?