View Single Post
03/17/20, 12:09 PM   #8
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
I'd rather see them add a proper solution for data heavy addons to efficiently store and access their data. The current Saved Variables format was never intended to contain megabytes of anything as can be seen on the load times.
Adding a way to store raw data could already help in some cases, as it would remove the need to run everything through the Lua interpreter on load. Even better would be a database interface that allows to only fetch the data that is needed when it is used.
Also a very welcome alternative/replacement, right.

One workaround would be to create two container addons.
So you have one addon "MyMainAddon" which is the actual addon, and two addons "MyAddon'sEUdata" and "MyAddons'USdata".
Store your heavy data in the latter two and disable one of the addons for the respective EU/US characters.
Yep, the way like some addons do it already.
This wouldn't allow me to share the data between the addons properly as long as they are disabled but would work I guess.

The bottleneck for saved var loading is the Lua interpreter. Their efforts to make asset loading multi-threaded won't affect that at all.
Correct. My SSD is fast enough to handle this But loading times still increase the bigger the files are, independent from any drive speeds!