Thread: 2.7 Update
View Single Post
12/31/16, 04:08 AM   #4
Ayantir

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
It's MY answer, not the *official* one, there is no really official answer in fact.

1. PM the author, ALWAYS.
  2. Wait 7 days (at least)
  3. Check his "Last Activity" (clic on its name on the addon page, it's written at the right, near its avatar)
  4. If addon only need an API update and 0 feature/bugfix, wait until next API bump (generally ~3 months), then if still not, look at The big choice (see under).

If addon needs code refactoring (bugfix/new features) :

If author last activity > 1 month :
  • The big choice (see under).

If last activity < 1 month
  • If addon is broken, submit a patch if you can (Addon page > Other Files).

It's not an official process, but as being one of the biggest "takeover-er" that's a good method which is not too fast and not too slow.

We have several authors who logs here once a month or once a DLC, so for many of them, you need to be patient.
Checking the addon last update date is also a good way to know if author is active or not, but it's not always accurate for big authors.

At any moment, if author say No, then > STOP < *(S)HE* IS THE AUTHOR

If you REALLY want a feature and REALLY think it's good for the addon (consider the scope of the addon and the exp. of the author) try to explain and argue with author and if still say No, fork by respecting the licence. (you'll enter in a possible drama-zone, plase avoid this at all cost). This case should never being hit for me. Consider Gitter for an objective point of view of other exp. authors.

Don't fork for a bugfix if author replied, please respect him/her.

The big choice:
  • PM Cairenn to ask to be added to addon team, that you PM'ed author and he didn't replied and he's away from ESOUI since more than a month. You will have possibility to upload, but no bugtracking/features panel and no downloads for you.
  • Upload a new addon with a similar name, please add a comment if possible on old addon to warn users with a link to the new added. You can also submit a patch. You'll have addon portal with team management with bug/features list and download counter to you.

@Cairenn / Dolby : feel free to edit my post.