View Single Post
12/06/18, 09:55 PM   #6
Drakanwulf

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
What you are saying is plain wrong. The game uses the AddOnVersion to prevent multiple instances of the same addon from loading. Authors don't influence that with their packaging and don't have any need to "detect and deny" it.
Exactly, and my suggestion was meant to promote actively not loading duplicates, which ZOS and ESO can't do, but add-on developers can and should do... but that's just my opinion. Of course, the backlash from the user community would affect some add-on developers more than others, if one were to follow that path.

LibStub has nothing to do with the AddOnVersion and won't ever use it. It's an old and deprecated system that did in the past what the game now does with the AddOnVersion and loading nested addons, so it's better to not use LibStub for new libraries anymore, since it cannot do it as well as the game itself.
The way LibStub's versioning works is the same way that ESO's AddOnVersion works. LibStub, however, does not care about duplicate versions; LibStub cares about only old, out-of-date, versions. However, as you said, LibStub is a dated product but that does not mean we cannot learn from it and what it did and did not do.

Addon devs also know which version of their addon is loaded if they have specified an AddOnVersion. It's always the one with the highest number, which you implicitly know in your code.
Right now, it is impossible to "legally" retrieve the AddOnVersion for any add-on. You have to "guess" at values that you cannot get. An optimal solution, in my view, would be for ESO to provide the current AddOnVersion and the manifest AddOnVersion to the add-on developer so they could make their decisions based on fact. And that was my point!