View Single Post
06/26/14, 02:43 PM   #1
GrfxGawd

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Exclamation An alternate to just walking away.

Trying to absorb everything that's happened, and happening.

Some people are really upset and rightfully so. Some are past the point of being upset, and again, with good reason. I have a proposed idea, one that doesn't involve just pulling all of your work and closing the door on ZOS.

Organized protest. I know, to some it might seem silly, others impractical. But stop and consider for a moment. If the third party development community, organized, were to completely pull support for say a month, it would send a very loud message, and one that would be spread industry wide.

If Zenimax pulls it's same "trick" of trashing the API without depreciation, providing the API well in advance, in general acting with utter and complete disregard and contempt for the efforts of the addon community - shut it down, for a full month. I myself would personally go so far as to suspend my account for said period of time too.

Now, what do I hope to accomplish.

1. Send a very clear and definite message to Zenimax that you can't do this to your community.
You can't do this to the gamers, you can't do this to your addon development community. It's terribly disruptive and completely unacceptable business practice.

2. It would garner sizeable media attention from those outlets that cover gaming industry news.
As a former reviewer and reporter on gaming events, this is the stuff of headlines.

3. Force Zenimax into action: Even if that action is lack of action.
Whatever and however they choose to react it will tell us precisely where we stand with Zenimax as a community. Both third party devs and even Gamer Joe. Any action taken by, or not taken by Zenimax would clarify what path is most likely best taken by those of us who freely donate our intellectual properties and time to further line their pockets.

I wanted to put this idea forward as an alternative to just walking away from all of your time and effort. I'd much rather do something like this than see everything we have currently lost. Maybe I'm just playing the part of Pollyanna here, but I hope that it could lead to better, more reliable relationship. One that would significantly increase value to all involved parties.

I could already list at least half a dozen detractors who are going to come in here, and I don't know that anyone will support the idea, but it's got to be better than just dumping everything into the bin and setting it afire.