View Single Post
05/27/17, 11:17 AM   #5
Atlan

Arrow DSS (DirectDraw Surface) is a Microsoft prohibitory format

Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
the operating system has nothing to do with which format a game
uses for its textures.
DSS (DirectDraw Surface) is a Microsoft prohibitory format format for storing textures. So it has a lot to do with the operating system because only Microsoft Windows can open DSS without additional help

DDS files can be loaded on any system as it is just a container and the game will have a library to read it.
Will the game have the library? And will it be up to date?

On Microsoft Windows the library is build into Direct X. And Microsoft will update the library and keep it up to date.

On macOS or Playstation you would need special libraries not made by Microsoft. Those libraries might be outdated, have reduced functionality or a different set of bugs.

I noticed that one add on after the other stopped displaying icons on macOS. While the game itself is not affected.

Changing file formats to something that is not supported by ESO (png) won't help at all.

I already notice that by try and error and I am now looking for a way to check if perhaps the DDS library is outdated while ad on developers switched to a newer format.

I'll try the other two places you mentioned with the new informations I have gathered.

Last edited by Atlan : 05/27/17 at 11:46 AM. Reason: typo