View Single Post
08/25/22, 07:02 AM   #5
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I agree with you that sneaky code change absent from the patch notes is disrespect, feels amateurish to me and costs me a lot of hours of testing sometimes absolutely random things to solve the bugs.
Well some changes get in on last second and were only tested without hitting the PTS. We all know this could happen and it does a lot.
But to tell the truth: Most changes are on PTS, at least 1 week before live, and we can (if we want and find the time) adopt our addons in advance.

But again: The major thing here is the time and addon users and devs just need to learn to wait and disable addons that cause errors. Always was and will be that way after (major) patches. From my experience I'd say most players know this meanwhile and will just wait, communicate with the devs what is not working and collaborate. And the ones being picky or not wanting to help, but just want to play "and rant at you to make it work again": Ignore them.

(inluding 1 mail from the comment section of the patch per hour to inform me of the same 3 bugs again and again)
I exactly kow what you mean and after years of being polite and reading + answering them all I'm just deleting them now to keep the addon comments clean and ONLY show the relevant info. Most users support this meanwhile, the ones who start to flame and rant will just be igored/comments deleted again.
If they start to behave wrong one can also report those but so far this was not the case (at least not in the past 2 years anymore).

I can only recommand this to you all (devs) and I know a lot others handle it the same/similar meanwhile.
Especially the ones maintining several addons like myself, as else you do not enjoy this anymore and it's get an administrative mess.

These stupid "me too" or "same error here" comments do not help at all.
The ones that provide screenshots or at least more text/info are worth to be read and if they neither help -> delete.

You can ask Dolby to create a sticky comment at the top of your addons, just need to tell him the comment therad and ID of the post and he can sticky it for you. That way you can add info, howtos, and warnings like "I'll delete comments here which do not provide additional information and only repeat the already known error without additional warning, to keep the comment section clean".

Last edited by Baertram : 08/25/22 at 07:06 AM.