07/30/15, 05:34 PM   #1
circonian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Shields: Weapon or Armor

Shields are classified as ITEMTYPE_WEAPON, but they show up under the armor filter. Now I've found out that, at least some, of the shield traits are actually ITEM_TRAIT_TYPE_ARMOR_xxx instead of ITEM_TRAIT_TYPE_WEAPON_xxx.

I've been trying to examine as many shields as I can find, but I've only found 3 shields with traits so far. Does anyone know IF "all" shield traits are ITEM_TRAIT_TYPE_ARMOR_xxx? Can a shield ever have ITEM_TRAIT_TYPE_WEAPON_xxx on it? Even better does anyone have a list of all traitTypes that can appear on a shield? Some weapon & armor traits overlap, like they both can have intricate, but not all of them do.

I'm examining items by itemType & then trying to see if they have certain traits on them that apply to that itemType, but since shields are weapons & appear to use armor traits I need to know which traits my code needs to make a special exception for & which traits I can ignore (which ones cant be on a shield).
07/30/15, 05:44 PM   #2
Wandamey
i didn't double check, but i'm pretty sure they use the armor trait mats at the crafting station. It would be easy to verify if you're in game.

also they do use armor gyphs... so maybe the "weapon" caracteristic just shows where it is equippable on the paper doll.

edit... i did double check, and it's all armor traits. i think the weapon thing is just there for the (off hand) info.

Last edited by Wandamey : 07/30/15 at 05:59 PM.
07/30/15, 05:48 PM   #3
circonian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Thanks, I didn't think about looking at the crafting trait gems.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Shields: Weapon or Armor