04/24/14, 07:57 PM   #1
Saucy

Originally Posted by Joviex View Post
You mean like all the updating that Wykkyd does for the mhQuestTools for which I wrote an extension?

Everytime he updates, I have to first check for diffs in his own code.

one of his modules uses CR line endings, which makes it look like every single line changed since the module I commit uses CR+LF.

So, I first have to save the module he edited, with CR+LF, to make sure the diff runs correct.

Same for any stray whitespace, which is why, in SciTE I have a pre-time save that strips whitespace from the end of lines =)

I can deal with it, but we were, someone was, asking for standards. I consider that to be a standard, and, to the point above, nicer when you have multiple people say, working in/on a library of functionality that is shared.

If it is local and solo then do whatever the heck you want!
For my projects I use two files that "define and maintain consistent coding styles" [1]. It helps me keep consistency across all projects I make. I must admit I'm not 100% sure about the differences between CR+LF and LF or when/which to use. I know CR+LF is for Window's newlines.

.gitattributes is used for Git (I'm not sure if it exist something for SVN/etc).

[1]: http://editorconfig.org/

file: .editorconfig
Code:
# editorconfig.org
root = true
[*]
indent_style = space
indent_size = 2
end_of_line = lf
charset = utf-8
trim_trailing_whitespace = true
insert_final_newline = true

[*.md]
trim_trailing_whitespace = false
file: .gitattributes
Code:
* text eol=lf
04/24/14, 11:49 PM   #2
Joviex

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Saucy View Post
For my projects I use two files that "define and maintain consistent coding styles" [1]. It helps me keep consistency across all projects I make. I must admit I'm not 100% sure about the differences between CR+LF and LF or when/which to use. I know CR+LF is for Window's newlines.

.gitattributes is used for Git

I use mercurial and tfs, they both provide the same type of mechanism, however it does not fix inconsistent files using two different line feeds.

Which to the greater point is about having our establishing some standards.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Addon Etiquette