02/08/20, 03:33 AM   #1
wambo
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Custom Countdown / Timer for EventIDs

Hiho,

there's already tons of addons for trials and dungeons to give you notifications for special events that often even tell you what to do, and give you a countdown till things hit you.

There's also many things not covered or just not implemented because it would even more "spam" the player and I understand thats rather detrimental.

So I was whondering whether it would be possible to make custom notifications/timers for EventIDs I can grab from the logs or maybe CMX.

I have the idea of testing AuraMastery for example, to get me a timer 24s timer starting at the first "Roaring Flare" or maybe minibosses jumps(I might only find the ID of the dmg skills they do just after the jump) in Cloudrest. So that as a raidlead I could anticipate when the next one is gonna happen and "command" my group accordingly.

So what would that new addon do then:
- offer a few more / easier options to create custom Notifications
- custom as in: position, which event triggers it, color, size,
- like Aura mastery offer a way to export those
- offer a way to organize them (via tabs / splitting lines maybe?)
- easy toggle on/off
- maybe even offer some "catch mode" to find event ids

In the end ppl could share specific notifications, and not rely on addon authors to add this or that one to them, and then have discussions whether this or that is needed or just cluttering.

That said, I feel like it would be great to unify many of the addons already available (HowToSunspire, Code's Combat Alerts, Riadnotifier, BRP helper, and and and)
Maybe some import functionality from those? ^^
02/08/20, 10:11 AM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
As AuraMastery already seems to provide the info and UI to add this why not ask the author to add notification possibilities and even maybe make them exportable and shareable with others?

Edit:
I'm not uzsing AuraMastery and not sure how the other addons "track" the boss stuff etc. If it's a buff you get I'm pretty sure AuraMastery supports this as well. Not sure what events you meant bt I doubt there are real ESO events fired as dungeon bosses do skills. I gues it's more a buff or abilityId used by the NPCs/bosses which get tracked via EVENT_BOSSES_CHANGED and EVENT_COMBAT_EVENT

Last edited by Baertram : 02/08/20 at 10:14 AM.
02/08/20, 10:27 AM   #3
andy.s
It's possible, but also it's like 2x faster and easier to make a custom notification just with LUA, 99% of players won't use such complex functionality which allows to customize everything from addon settings.
02/08/20, 10:38 AM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Building a notification is no problem, I know that. But how do you trigger it? It shouldn't be manually as Wambo described but done through something that happens during boss fights e.g.
He does not like to see by himself that something happens, press a key then to start a timer.

Therefor you need the addon which is able to define the circumstances (buffs e.g.)
So why create a new one when an exisitng one already provides all the "trigger configuration"?

And to be honest: Users who think about such possibilities like wrning during boss fights etc. will also use such kind of configurable addons.
If you want to have something very easy to use for every player type, beginner and experienced, there won't be one addon which fullfills the needs.
That's why Wambo asked for the "shareable" rules I assume.

Last edited by Baertram : 02/08/20 at 10:40 AM.
02/08/20, 11:29 AM   #5
andy.s
It's just a combat event with a unique id you can find on esologs for example, so it's very easy to add a notification for any boss ability. But what is "hard", is to create a notification which is actually helpful, noticeable and easy to understand while having other 10 notification on the screen. That's why I find the idea of making an all-in-one addon kinda utopic, especially considering people are just doing them for fun in free time.
02/08/20, 08:41 PM   #6
wambo
I havent tested AuraMastery, I actually assumed it wasnt developed anymore, but I noticed it got updated for Dragonhold and has a new "grouping function" (and maybe more, still looking into it)

The second idea to unify multiple addons occured to me while writing.
Unifying it would have a few benefits:
a) no double notifications -> less clattered screen
b) less addons to be maintained, more authors could try to help using one instead of creating their own.
-> Granted it will be much work, to take every useful notification ( trigger, warning, timer, behaviou "countdown, counting up..." ) over to another one, and to recreate the notification display (Like code's sexy dodge bars, or Status panel and so on"

Unifying many addons would needs some reconsideration. Atm the player still has to move them himself, so they wouldnt overlap, and deactivate double ones, if possible.
It would need a system to organize them into different frames (boxes), which the player can move (and maybe adjust? in size)
- React fast (dodge bar, wing thrash, barswap in x, block thrash, ) -> middle top, ordered by the time of impact
- Preparation (next portal phase, next crushing darkness, next Ice Tomb spawning in, next Laser phase, next triplets swap)
- Information (x bombers alive, x seconds till boss spawn, and so on)

As to create a simple notification in LUA: thats not as easy.. I once started looking into changing Assist rapid riding to adapt it to another skill, but I postponed it indefinitely (gave up) when I saw how much code there was to it, and that I couldnt follow most of it. I do have very limited programming experience but I do have abit, and I wouldnt say its easy :-/

On the other hand I know that everybody does this in their free time, so I posted this to gather opinions and ideas.

Last edited by wambo : 02/09/20 at 06:34 AM.
02/09/20, 07:44 AM   #7
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
A simple on screen notification (CSA - Center screen announcement) can be created very easily.
But they do not show at the same time, only after each other. Like error messages or server wide announcements like "Server will be down in ... minutes".

But having different icons staying on the UI, which you are able to move etc. isn't that easy. You need to create the controls etc.
And what you also already noticed is that the total code around it, to "trigger" these annoucements, will not be always easy.Some depend on abilityIds used, others on buffs you get on your char or other chars (bosses e.g.), others on ingame events one can monitor, etc.

That's why I thought an addon which can define custom controls and buff bars would be the best to add notification messages or icons maybe as well which can be defined according to your needs (buff on player, like Srendarr does with it's custom buff bars / buff on boss / event triggered / whatever is possible).

Nevertehless this will become a lot of work no matter if a new addon would be created or an exisitng one needs can be enhanched. Imo enhancing exsiting ones would be easier IF the addon dev working on it is willing to and got the time.
02/10/20, 10:07 AM   #8
Letho
AuraMastery is being developed - at a slug's speed as i have a very demanding job and no professional coding background. The most important thing is yet to get ideas. Aura Mastery has the potential to react to any ingame event - some of them are deactivated by me to increase performance but that is just a matter of design. What would you like to "react" to? AuraMastery supports

Effect Events
Combat Events
Ability Used Events

I originally planned to add status monitoring (unit hitpoints/magicka/stamina, etc.) but gave up on that due to a lack of time. An additional problem is ZOS's attitude towards functions that would enable us to develop ingame damage meters - many neccessary information is just not available because ZOS blanks the fields in the events.

So just post what you need here and I will take a look if it's supported

Originally Posted by andy.s View Post
It's just a combat event with a unique id you can find on esologs for example, so it's very easy to add a notification for any boss ability. But what is "hard", is to create a notification which is actually helpful, noticeable and easy to understand while having other 10 notification on the screen. That's why I find the idea of making an all-in-one addon kinda utopic, especially considering people are just doing them for fun in free time.
There is many ways to achieve that, it's just a matter of configurability and functionality. Thing is whenever I contact bossmod builders I get no answer. If I had the time for it I would realize something like WoW's Deadly Bossmods or BigWigs Bossmods, sth. i'd love to see ESO's bossmod addon authors doing. I can just figure they suffer the same lack of time I do, combined with the feeling that ZOS is not taking the raiding scene serious enough

Oh and then there's guilds like former Hodor which don't even share their **** at all.

Last edited by Letho : 02/10/20 at 10:14 AM.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » Custom Countdown / Timer for EventIDs