07/11/14, 09:28 PM   #1
Naveer
Arrow [Request] In-game Screenreader

First thing's first. A screenreader, for if you do not know, is typically a program that reads text from a computer, and outputs a synthetic voice through your computer's speakers, narrating the text.
Myself, am a vision impaired player of 'Elder Scrolls Online', unable to read in-game chat, item inventory, or any text within the game without eye strain, resulting in rapid fatigue. And we all know, that playing a game while tuckered out isn't always a good idea. So I rely heavily on voice acting, playing in a group and using 'Skype' to voice call my group members, and asking them consistently about any text that may have slight importance.
So my request, if at all possible, is the development of an add-on that reads in game text via a synthetic voice. Relying on the cursor for a focal point of narrations when in a menu/dialogue option, read player names when a player is highlighted,, and to be able to read the in-game chat. This could be that a player would press a binded key for the add-on to start reading, and press the same key again to pause the narration. Customization could be made to choose how the screenreader add-on reads, such as if it reads always, only if it's key is pressed (hold/tap), if it solely reads menus, menus and player names, etc.
Individual volume of the add-on would also be a beneficial customization.

I can only imagine how big of a request this may be. And if someone decides to tackle down this post, and try to for fill its needs, I will offer all knowledge I have on screenreaders, and will help however I am able. Although, I have the same level of knowledge as a quick browse through Wikipedia on how screenreaders are developed. I do use screenreaders however, so experience on best choices to make when developing such an add-on, I will gladly answer and list other possible options if there are any.
And already developed screenreaders that are a separate program do not work, because the game's window is a video feed. Not with detectable text such as on an internet browser, or word document.

Thank you for your time and for reading. Happy gaming!

Naveer
07/12/14, 03:19 AM   #2
zgrssd
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This is beyond addons. We are only able to play a select few ingame sounds and cannot add custom sounds. Much less a synthesized voice.
Also a programm that reads the screen would be a very important tool for botting, so it would likely hit their misgivings.
We could make a addon that replaces many of the default windows with

There are however several options to explore for you:
Video, Interface, Scale - that can boost the overall size of windows and thier text contents.
Then there are the Social Options, especially Textsize of chat, and colors for the chatbox and Categories.
07/12/14, 06:34 AM   #3
Naveer
Thank you for the information and advice on my request. It is appreciated.

But no, in my case, reading at all increases fatigue. No matter what the size of the text I am reading. Reading at all, I'm reccomended highly not to do. My individual eye condition is very unpredictable and highly unstable. Large amounts of visual focus is one of the many things that spike it's condition negatively.

Although, I do know the layout of the inventory by heart for example, without needing to read a thing. And I have the support of friends I am playing 'Elder Scrolls Online' with to rely on if anything is important. So I can manage. With the addition that in windowed fullscreen mode, Windows Magnifier can still be used. Just not while you're not in a menu. So in-game chat is always inaccessible. But it's not a mandatory thing you need to play the game.

And sorry, your post cut off somewhere. You said "We could make a addon that replaces many of the default windows with " And I think your sentence was cut off. If not, I apologise for my 'short sightedness'. xD

Thanks again for the time and information. And even more so the advice.
07/12/14, 09:35 AM   #4
Tonyleila

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
For the Inventory maybe "MrPlow - Inventory Sorter" coud help to sort by item type and "Inventory Grid View" coud help to make realy big Icons of the Items and only light up the important Blue and Purple items.
07/13/14, 12:24 AM   #5
Naveer
Thanks! I'll be sure to look into that. ^^

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » [Request] In-game Screenreader