11/18/14, 09:32 AM   #1
tangerine0469
Exclamation Variable Dump

Hi,
first time add on developer here so please be nice and do not berate me for my question even if it sounds stupid/silly/useless/whatever...

I am trying to see all the variables available to an addon that may or may not be listed in the wiki. I know how to make a GUI (as ugly as my first attempts are they still work), make a settings menu and layout the add on files to work when activated. I just need help with the lua code on this as this is my first attempt at lua. I am a regular php/html/javascript user so I get the basics of programming. I did try to something I found on stackoverflow but that only gave me an error:

Link
Code:
function locals()
  local variables = {}
  local idx = 1
  while true do
    local ln, lv = debug.getlocal(2, idx)
    if ln ~= nil then
      variables[ln] = lv
    else
      break
    end
    idx = 1 + idx
  end
  return variables
end
I even tried to Butcher the counter tutorial code to display the variables btu that also ended in the same result. Lastly I have tried to call that (and several variations) function inside of the GUI by using:

Code:
<OnUpdate>
<OnInitialized>
<OnMouseDown>
Which met with either a few or repeating (in the case of the on update, my computer runs at 100 fps) errors

Edit:
I found something that may help me out and do what I want a little easier... the link for the addon is: http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info2...ctiontool.html I will post if it does or if I am still stuck later when I get home.

Last edited by tangerine0469 : 11/18/14 at 09:41 AM. Reason: found a usefull resource
11/18/14, 10:55 AM   #2
merlight
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Certainly use Zgoo, it helps a lot.

A note to your piece of code: debug.getlocal won't work. In ESO you only have access to math, string, table modules; debug, io, os, and I think coroutine as well, are disabled.

If you want to iterate over the global table, use zo_insecurePairs:
Lua Code:
  1. for k, v in zo_insecurePairs(_G) do
  2.    ...
  3. end
This is because some functions in there cannot be accessed from add-ons, and regular pairs(_G) bails out when it comes across one.
11/18/14, 11:13 AM   #3
tangerine0469
Originally Posted by merlight View Post
Certainly use Zgoo, it helps a lot.

A note to your piece of code: debug.getlocal won't work. In ESO you only have access to math, string, table modules; debug, io, os, and I think coroutine as well, are disabled.

Lua Code:
  2.    ...
  3. end
This is because some functions in there cannot be accessed from add-ons, and regular pairs(_G) bails out when it comes across one.
Thank you! I will give it a try when I get home. This is definitely an interesting language to learn and knowing the limitations of the API are definitely the first half of the battle.
11/18/14, 11:47 AM   #4
votan

Originally Posted by merlight View Post
Lua Code:
  2.    ...
  3. end
Here is a script snippet posted by Harven, which does that:
http://www.esoui.com/forums/showpost...81&postcount=4
11/18/14, 06:42 PM   #5
Garkin

If you want, below is the link for tool which I have used to make full dump of global variables for this post: PTS 1.5.1 API changes (100009 to 100010 diff)

GlobalDumper.zip
11/20/14, 09:31 AM   #6
tangerine0469
Originally Posted by Garkin View Post
If you want, below is the link for tool which I have used to make full dump of global variables for this post: PTS 1.5.1 API changes (100009 to 100010 diff)

GlobalDumper.zip
Thank you so much for that dumper and the link to the recent dump it is super helpful! also a bit on the overload side as that is a ton of info to take in... Time to do my homework

Also how do I dump this to a text file? I tried zgoo but its copy command fails with an warnign about ilegal use of copy function.

Edit:
I missed the saved variables part... ignore my question on how to save them...

Last edited by tangerine0469 : 11/21/14 at 07:36 AM. Reason: added question

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Variable Dump