Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
05/13/14, 03:43 PM   #16
Ark

This is one of the oldest problems in the history of developing.
Where is the line between inspired and copy?

I'm very pragmatic with this. I think everyone dislikes to be copied. Even more when there is money involved (is the bread of our family as developers)
But when its about a hobby...there is really a need to defend our work to the extreme?
When I develop an open source, I think about doing it for the sake of everyone. Because if I did it only for me, I'll not release it
So, if I do it for everyone, why not let others change and twist it so they can use ir as base to do their ideas?
....Let the best work prevail.

But, yeah, the minimum is to recognize the original autor. From there I think you cannot really get upset about it
You can think it like this: maybe your work (your ui in this case) is so good that maybe you could work with an library to ease the use of this kind of menu
When people start copying your work its because that kind of work was needed. Its a response to a need. Maybe they could try to do their own ui, but some people just don't want to, or just don't know how.

Everyone can learn and improve form others (fork). And you can improve from others too (maybe they could do some trick here and there that you can add to your own original code).

When everyone can see the guts of your work, and use it, its not a good idea to go anything but open source. They will copy it likewise, and you will get mad about it. It not worth it

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Add-on code - the grey line of "based on"