04/02/19, 09:58 AM   #1
scorpius2k1

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
How to Detect Player/Mount Sprint Start/Stop

How would I go about detecting when the player starts/stops sprinting whether they are mounted or not?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
04/02/19, 10:02 AM   #2
Rhyono
I think ACTION_RESULT_SPRINTING can be returned by EVENT_COMBAT_EVENT, but I don't know if that works outside of combat. As for mounted sprinting: maybe just check if mounted at the time of the sprint activating?
04/02/19, 10:20 AM   #3
Wheels
Originally Posted by Rhyono View Post
I think ACTION_RESULT_SPRINTING can be returned by EVENT_COMBAT_EVENT, but I don't know if that works outside of combat. As for mounted sprinting: maybe just check if mounted at the time of the sprint activating?
EVENT_COMBAT_EVENT doesn't require the player to be in combat. There are 'abilities' that occur and can be seen by EVENT_COMBAT_EVENT that happen when the player sprints and when they sprint on a mount etc, so with a little work and filtering it would certainly be trackable
04/02/19, 10:39 AM   #4
sirinsidiator

Someone asked the same question on gitter a while ago. Here is the code I posted back then:
Lua Code:
  1. local SPRINT_ABILITY_ID = 973
  2. local PLAYER_UNIT_TAG = "player"
  3. EVENT_MANAGER:RegisterForEvent("MyAddonName_SprintStart", EVENT_COMBAT_EVENT, function(_, result, isError, abilityName, abilityGraphic, abilityActionSlotType, sourceName, sourceType, targetName, targetType, hitValue, powerType, damageType, log, sourceUnitId, targetUnitId, abilityId)
  4.     if(hitValue == 0) then -- seems the event triggers twice, once with hitValue 0 and a second time with 1
  5.         d("sprint start")
  6.     end
  7. end)
  8. EVENT_MANAGER:AddFilterForEvent("MyAddonName_SprintStart", EVENT_COMBAT_EVENT, REGISTER_FILTER_UNIT_TAG, PLAYER_UNIT_TAG)
  9. EVENT_MANAGER:AddFilterForEvent("MyAddonName_SprintStart", EVENT_COMBAT_EVENT, REGISTER_FILTER_COMBAT_RESULT, ACTION_RESULT_EFFECT_GAINED)
  10. EVENT_MANAGER:AddFilterForEvent("MyAddonName_SprintStart", EVENT_COMBAT_EVENT, REGISTER_FILTER_ABILITY_ID, SPRINT_ABILITY_ID)
  12. EVENT_MANAGER:RegisterForEvent("MyAddonName_SprintEnd", EVENT_COMBAT_EVENT, function(_, result, isError, abilityName, abilityGraphic, abilityActionSlotType, sourceName, sourceType, targetName, targetType, hitValue, powerType, damageType, log, sourceUnitId, targetUnitId, abilityId)
  13.     d("sprint end")
  14. end)
  15. EVENT_MANAGER:AddFilterForEvent("MyAddonName_SprintEnd", EVENT_COMBAT_EVENT, REGISTER_FILTER_UNIT_TAG, PLAYER_UNIT_TAG)
  16. EVENT_MANAGER:AddFilterForEvent("MyAddonName_SprintEnd", EVENT_COMBAT_EVENT, REGISTER_FILTER_COMBAT_RESULT, ACTION_RESULT_EFFECT_FADED)
  17. EVENT_MANAGER:AddFilterForEvent("MyAddonName_SprintEnd", EVENT_COMBAT_EVENT, REGISTER_FILTER_ABILITY_ID, SPRINT_ABILITY_ID)

You can check if the player is mounted with the function "IsMounted()".
04/09/19, 09:19 AM   #5
ArtOfShred

You could register a separate eventhandler for abilityId: 33439 "Mount Sprint (Generic)" if you need to track when the player is sprinting on a mount, that's the id for that.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » How to Detect Player/Mount Sprint Start/Stop