01/05/16, 03:11 AM   #1
Gryns
Ability icons

After some research and experimentation I've finally found out how to create an addon that replaces an ability icon for another icon.

This is the script I used.

RedirectTexture(originalPath, newPath)

While this does change the icon on both the action bar and the skill tree, it does not change the texture when dragging skills off the skill tree and onto the action bar. I know it is a bit obsessive, but at this point I already invested waaaaay to much time in this addon to let go of this small detail.

Is there any way I can make the addon change the icon when being "picked up" off the skill tree? When dragging and dropping skills, the cursor turns into the ability icon, which is probably why the script I used doesn't work.

Thanks in advance,

Gryns
01/05/16, 11:32 AM   #2
Ayantir

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I don't think, dragging skills is a "private zone" with no addon permitted.
01/07/16, 04:22 AM   #3
Gryns
Hmmm, that's a pity, is there any way for me to use my own icon? That way I can make a subtle change instead of using the icon of a completely different ability.
01/08/16, 12:01 AM   #4
circonian
Not that I know of. Hooking all of the functions that return skill textures does not help. We don't have access to the code that retrieves the icon when a skill is picked up and you can't change the cursor texture by code, except setting it to an inventory item, default skill texture, or some other cursorContentType texture. You can't even cover it up by anchoring another icon control over the top of the cursor texture to hide it. You can't get the draw layer/tier/level above the cursor.
01/16/16, 05:13 AM   #5
Gryns
Thanks for laying it out. Not the answer I was hoping for, but at least I know what I can do now.

Originally Posted by circonian View Post
We don't have access to the code that retrieves the icon when a skill is picked up and you can't change the cursor texture by code, except setting it to an inventory item, default skill texture, or some other cursorContentType texture.
Does this mean that I could change the cursor texture into a skill texture whilst picking it up? Because this is exactly what happens when dragging and dropping a skill.
01/16/16, 05:16 PM   #6
circonian
Originally Posted by Gryns View Post
Thanks for laying it out. Not the answer I was hoping for, but at least I know what I can do now.

Does this mean that I could change the cursor texture into a skill texture whilst picking it up? Because this is exactly what happens when dragging and dropping a skill.
No, I didn't phrase that very well. I just meant by picking up different skills it would display different textures, the default textures for that skill that you pick up, but you can't change that texture to anything different.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Graphics Help » Ability icons