12/08/23, 03:59 PM   #1
Snottykitty
Question Silencing musical emotes

After reading that lengthy, but excellent, pinned post about what addons may and may not do, I have a question. I would like to not have to listen to other players' musical emotes, such as the flute, lute, drum, etc. As far as I've been able to determine there is no setting in the game that will silence those and NOT silence other audio like spell and weapon effects or background music. I've been requesting this to be added to the game for the last 3 years but have not seen it happen.

There is an addon, called Shut Yer Trap, which silences repetitive npc dialogue. It works well and allows you to be selective about which npcs you silence. My plan is to study this addon, talk to the author, and then perhaps to begin the process of writing my own addon that will allow me to play the game and be blissfully free of having to hear those annoying emotes.

My question is simply will that be possible? If it's allowable and possible to stop annoying npc dialogue, is it also allowable and possible to do that with musical emotes? If it is doable, is there anything I haven't mentioned here that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

SnottyKitty
12/08/23, 05:07 PM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hi,

no it will not be possible as emotes normally do not write anything text wise to the chat, isn't it?
-> That's how the NPC addon works. It detects the text in the chat and then silences the general audio volume (same as you said, that makes your effects and other music etc. silent then).

At least that is what I understood it does last time I saw it.

So basically your request would only work if you get a chat message if anyone around you plays an emote or mounts (those loud blinking mounts...)

Addons can also only react on stuff of other players if you are grouped, at least for most stuff.
I doubt there even is any API to detect if anyone, you would have the mouse cursor over at the moment the emote starts, starts to play an emote with music etc.

Basically ZOs wuld have to implement such a sound setting, or you'd have to be quick and run away the moment you hear one

Last edited by Baertram : 12/09/23 at 06:33 AM.
12/08/23, 05:45 PM   #3
Snottykitty
Thank you for that quick response. I was afraid I would hear exactly what you said, but I had to ask. I'll keep asking in game for the ability to mute annoying emotes. I can't be the only one who would like to have that capability. It was bad enough already and then they added that awful trumpet!

Thanks again, Baertram.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » Silencing musical emotes