05/30/20, 08:06 AM   #1
Blackwolfe
Additional "chat" window

So, since ZO pretty much ruined the multi window chat functionality some time ago, what about a different solution?

What about an addon that acts like a window where addons can send their loot/experience/whatever messages?
05/30/20, 08:32 AM   #2
Marazota
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
just need to update this

https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info...atIt.html#info
05/30/20, 08:44 AM   #3
Blackwolfe
Originally Posted by Marazota View Post
Oohh.. nice. Yeah, if we got an update for it that would be wonderful.
05/30/20, 12:51 PM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Just use LibDebugLogger and DebugLogViewer for this.
It already fetches all addon messages that are send via d() to the chat and shows them in it's own UI (or a quick message viewer at the bottom right of the screen -> movable).

This unclutters the chat already a lot + gives devs the possibility to get infos about your loaded addons, if you get any error message.
By sending in the SavedVariables file of LibDebugLogger you tell the devs most of all infos they would need to rebuild these errors
(you'd need to enable in teh DebugLogViewer -> LibDebugLogger settings the "stack traceback" though ONLY then as you get error messages, and reloadui afterwards, in order to collect the info about active addons and libs and versions properly. For all other means it would be enugh to use the addon and lib with standard settings).
05/30/20, 01:21 PM   #5
Blackwolfe
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Just use LibDebugLogger and DebugLogViewer for this.
It already fetches all addon messages that are send via d() to the chat and shows them in it's own UI (or a quick message viewer at the bottom right of the screen -> movable).

This unclutters the chat already a lot + gives devs the possibility to get infos about your loaded addons, if you get any error message.
By sending in the SavedVariables file of LibDebugLogger you tell the devs most of all infos they would need to rebuild these errors
(you'd need to enable in teh DebugLogViewer -> LibDebugLogger settings the "stack traceback" though ONLY then as you get error messages, and reloadui afterwards, in order to collect the info about active addons and libs and versions properly. For all other means it would be enugh to use the addon and lib with standard settings).
Interesting, will check it out Thanks!

Edit: Ok, so, not what I was hoping for.

Last edited by Blackwolfe : 05/30/20 at 01:33 PM.
05/30/20, 01:40 PM   #6
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Not all addons use teh d() message to write to chat. Some use other ways and these will stay in the chat.
There will never be a solution to this.
If they write to the "active chat tab" you'll see the messages in there.
They would need to adopt to use LibDebugLogger logger to output their addon related stuff properly to LibDebugLogger window, or at least use the d() message to output to the "system" chat channel.
If their code is not setup this way, NO addon will have a chance.

IF they use the system chat channel you could even use pChat addon to enable the now visible chat tab category SYSTEM (right click the chat tab and choose ctagory "System" ONLY at 1 chat tab) and the chat messages send to the system chat channel will be shown there then (you need to sisable the system chat category at all other chat tabs then).
Works fine for 80% of my addons. I only see their messages then in the 1st chat tab and/or within DebugLogViewer quicklog.

But loot etc will always be shown in other ways, depending on if you use vanilla UI or any addon. And if loot addons write to the chat with some own created idea and way, nothing will ever help to supress it then. The addon devs of THESE addons need to build it properly and with the given tools.
05/30/20, 01:42 PM   #7
Blackwolfe
I had libdebuglogger since before (think it was required by one of the other addons I have installed) but..

I really wish you could turn a chat tab into it's own window.. but can't have everything I guess. And of course even if someone were to make an addon (separate from libdebuglogger) for a secondary chat window I guess addon devs would still need to use it or it wouldn't do much good.

*raises glass* Here is to hopes and dreams, may they one day come true.

At the very least if system messages could be directed to a separate window..

Last edited by Blackwolfe : 05/30/20 at 01:48 PM.
05/30/20, 02:10 PM   #8
Shadowfen
Originally Posted by Blackwolfe View Post
I had libdebuglogger since before (think it was required by one of the other addons I have installed) but..

I really wish you could turn a chat tab into it's own window.. but can't have everything I guess. And of course even if someone were to make an addon (separate from libdebuglogger) for a secondary chat window I guess addon devs would still need to use it or it wouldn't do much good.

*raises glass* Here is to hopes and dreams, may they one day come true.

At the very least if system messages could be directed to a separate window..

They can be directed to a separate chat tab in rChat. Just turn off SYSTEM in the tabs that you do not want system messages in.
05/30/20, 02:11 PM   #9
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
They are if you use LibDebugLogger AND "DebugLogViewer" -> Use the DebugLogViewer's quick log (enable in the settings) and you'd see the system messages in there -> Like all d() messages by addons or also other system chat messages afaik.

Edit:
Just tested it. Not all system messages get redirected there, unfortunately. Like login/logout message won't.

Originally Posted by Shadowfen View Post
They can be directed to a separate chat tab in rChat. Just turn off SYSTEM in the tabs that you do not want system messages in.
Already explained that above for pChat. He wants another window not another chat tab in the same chat container.

Last edited by Baertram : 05/30/20 at 02:14 PM.
05/30/20, 02:15 PM   #10
Blackwolfe
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
They are if you use LibDebugLogger AND "DebugLogViewer" -> Use the DebugLogViewer's quick log (enable in the settings) and you'd see the system messages in there -> Like all d() messages by addons or also other system chat messages afaik.

Already explained that above for pChat. He wants another window not another chat tab in the same chat container.
Pretty much this. I can already have a separate tab for system messages (which I have but it's not the optimal solution, though it's the only solution I have at the moment)

Why did the devs remove the previous multi chat window method anyway?
05/30/20, 02:52 PM   #11
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
They have completely rebuild the chat system to a router for chat stuff. Not sure how the multi window worked in detail before but somehow it is not properly now anymore.

You could try "TOM a Tamriel messenger", it provides another window. Not sure if this is in addition to the normal chat, or just replaces it though.
And it also got some bugs and included old libraries + LibStub calls. I already informed the dev about this in the comments some weeks ago. Not sure though if she/he still plays ESO.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » Additional "chat" window