06/28/16, 12:29 PM   #1
Sp00sty
Is there a comments thread search function?

Some of the specific addon comments threads are several hundred pages but I don't want to ask a question that may have been answered well before.

I know about the Forum Search Tool but did I miss a "search this thread" button for the addon comments sections? Or is there another Comments Thread Search function I can use?

Last edited by Sp00sty : 06/28/16 at 12:31 PM.
07/01/16, 07:21 AM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
AFAIK the forum search will search the comments (posts) as standard setting and list you the threads where the search string was found.
You are able to chaneg the search method to find threads only too.
Though the search results list will only show you the thread names and if you click it you won't be taken to the searched string :-(

If you want to search "inside a thread" just look at the top right corner of the thraad (if youa re inside it) and click the "Search this thread" option. A small popup will allow you to search or open another "Advanced Thread search" here!
You'll get a list of the appropriate comments then.
07/01/16, 07:45 AM   #3
Sp00sty
"search inside thread" is what I'm not seeing anything to use. I have it on this very thread but it does not display when I'm inside an actual Addon Comments Section. Do I have a switch to throw somewhere to display that button?

WIN7 FF 47.01

Here's a typical Addon Comments Thread, 700 comments and I can't find any search within button.

The comment options pulldown only offers Sorting and Add to Feed. The page number pulldown only offers goto page #.

Last edited by Sp00sty : 07/01/16 at 07:53 AM.
07/01/16, 08:07 AM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Inside this thread "Is there a comments thread search function" I see the following dropdown:

I'm using the Chrome Browser currently but it's working with IExplorer and others as well.

Maybe you need to enable this in your settings somehwere. I don't remember activating it manually though.

But you are right, it is missing inside the comments :-(

@Dolby
Any chance to add this "Thread search" to the comments section as well?

Last edited by Baertram : 07/01/16 at 08:09 AM.
07/01/16, 08:10 AM   #5
Scootworks

Sp00sty talks about AddOns Comments, Baertram talks about forum posts... that's not the same
07/01/16, 08:24 AM   #6
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Yeah AddOn comments don't have a search function. We haven't had one because usually stuff way back in AddOn comments is outdated anyway but I can work on adding the feature if you guys think its needed.
07/01/16, 08:27 AM   #7
Ayantir

It can be interesting yes, and google isn't really helpful because it often sends you on page 1.
We have few addons where an interesting info can be hidden 10 / 50 pages behind..
07/01/16, 08:28 AM   #8
Scootworks

Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Yeah AddOn comments don't have a search function. We haven't had one because usually stuff way back in AddOn comments is outdated anyway but I can work on adding the feature if you guys think its needed.
I think this is not so important. i think it's more important, that addon authors are using the portal for bugs and features. these will give a better overview. maybe you should work on that portal for a better design with more functions (sort the stuff), maybe tags for a search
07/01/16, 08:43 AM   #9
Ayantir

I think this is not so important. i think it's more important, that addon authors are using the portal for bugs and features. these will give a better overview. maybe you should work on that portal for a better design with more functions (sort the stuff), maybe tags for a search
Using bug/feature portal is only interesting for owners of addons.

If you're not tagged as owner even if you rewrited it X times and you're the maintainer since 2 years, this feature is just to ignore because it's linked to an owner and not an addon..
07/01/16, 09:00 AM   #10
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Yeah I should make the bug/feature system centered around the AddOn and not the Author account.
03/18/24, 11:44 AM   #11
Vhellcat
Question Almost 8 years...

So... I was searching to see if there was a search feature within the addon comments section, as raised in 2016 but it appears that feature is not available.

I believe this would be a useful feature, especially with addons that have many pages and before adding to the thread, it would be nice to search to see if a comment/question/etc... has already been posed.

Thank you for reading!

ESOUI » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » Is there a comments thread search function?