08/24/23, 03:44 AM   #1
lovestohugnugs
Manual Addon Updates

Hi, i manual install my addons and new to it. When there is an update do i need to delete all addon files or just certain ones? I am unsure how 'updating' works. Do i just redownload the main addon file or all the other addons needed for it as well?

Thanks
08/24/23, 04:05 AM   #2
wookiefriseur

Lightbulb

Let's say the AddOn is called CustomAddon. Then CustomAddon.txt tells the game which files to load. So you do not have to delete any. If there are any additional files they just won't be loaded. But if you want to keep it clean, just delete the whole CustomAddon folder which path should be something like "My Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live/AddOns/CustomAddon".

If CustomAddon depends on other libraries you should keep them up to date too, repeating the update steps for each of them. They are listed in the CustomAddon.txt and should be each installed in their own separate AddOn folder like
  • "My Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live/AddOns/CustomLibrary1"
  • "My Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live/AddOns/CustomLibrary2"
  • "My Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live/AddOns/CustomLibrary3"
See https://www.esoui.com/forums/faq.php..._howto_install
08/24/23, 04:54 AM   #3
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You should "always" delete the whole folder of the addon/library, if you manually update it from a new zip file!
e.g. live/AddOns/CustomAddonName

That's what the addon manager Minion does the same way, for example

Why?
If you just overwrite it, old files/folders will be kept.
This may be no problem, and often it isn't (except folder size increases for no reason and sending the folder to friends or taking screenshot shows old data and makes the error finding process annoying).

But we had it happen that addons had subfolders containing libraries, which got loaded and bugged out then
e.g. live/AddOns/CustomAddonName/libs/LibWhatever

So better delete the complete addon folder and then extract the new updated files completely to live/Addons.

Watchout: if you extract the zip file the zip program might create a new folder with the name of the zip file!
But you ONLY must extract the contents of the zip file to /live/AddOns.

e.g. zip filename "MyAddon1_v2.zip"

Contents:
folder "MyAddon1"

Extracted Wrong:
live/AddOns/MyAddon1_v2/MyAddon1

Extracted correctly:
live/AddOns/MyAddon1

I'd recommand using Minion, the addon manager, to install and update your addons more easily:
Please read this first ebfore installing it as it contains infos what to do how, prepare firewall whitelist, install 32bit version, maybe install to another folder/drive etc: https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8082

Officially download (32bit version as mentioned!) the addon manager here:
https://www.minion.gg/
-> It will update itsself after installation, at first run. So do not wonder if that popup shows asking for an update.

Last edited by Baertram : 08/24/23 at 04:57 AM.
08/24/23, 06:37 AM   #4
Sharlikran

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Yep, what Baertram said. Delete old folder, unzip file, check contents, copy the correct folder so you don't create a parent folder or a folder in a folder.

I also recommended Minion instead.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » Manual Addon Updates