08/08/18, 08:34 AM   #1
Cardinal05
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
[rejected] Housing API - Request Governor Limit / Throttling

Hi @ZOS_ChipHilseberg !!!

I have a quick question: I have a new feature for Essential Housing Tools in mind that might be able to placate the masses that are posting daily demands for more housing item slots on the ESO Forums but I would need your help...

Would it be at all possible to increase the governor limit that is currently placed on the number of housing API requests issued per second? It appears to be in the ballpark of around 10 reqs/sec at the moment. I was wondering how much that could be increased, if possible? An increase to 20-30 reqs/sec would be awesome (and even more would be outstanding if that were in the realm of possibility).

The rationale: A change such as this would allow me to add a new feature to E.H.T. that would give users the ability to set up multiple "dimensions" within a single house, with each dimension or "floor" being an entirely different set up of furniture and layouts. The user would then be able to flip between these layouts at will with one-click, giving users the feeling of an "increased item limit." I believe that this would make the Housing system even more flexible, dynamic and enjoyable for both the many users who already love it as well as new users that may join our Housing Community and come to love Housing as much as we do. :-)

Thank you so, so much for everything you do. The Housing Community is super thankful for your help! <3
R_K
@Cardinal05

08/08/18, 02:12 PM   #2
sirinsidiator

That's basically what my SaveHouse addon does. I just never continued improving it since I hit the item limit in my house and other users didn't seem too interested in it...

08/08/18, 03:49 PM   #3
wookiefriseur

I don't have anything useful to add to this thread. But that doesn't stop me:

Would love to see more furniture slots overall. They could take your dimensions idea and make it official. I could even live with loading screens or streaming between the floors/dimensions/zones/grids whatever.

Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
That's basically what my SaveHouse addon does. I just never continued improving it since I hit the item limit in my house and other users didn't seem too interested in it...
Dude, I use your add-on every day. Lifesaver.

08/08/18, 04:03 PM   #4
Cardinal05
Actually it's funny you mentioned SaveHouse -- add-ons like SaveHouse, Homestead OCD and others helped to motivate me to learn LUA and start developing Housing-related add-ons. So, if it weren't for those sources of inspiration, I may not have created the Housing add-ons I've made so far... Thank you!!!

08/09/18, 08:31 AM   #5
ZOS_DanBatson
ZOS Staff!

Yes this person is from ZeniMax!
That limitation is a server/bandwidth/spam limitation, not a UI limitation or client limitation. We can pass the request on, but I would expect that it's not in the cards. Sorry, gang.

08/09/18, 12:10 PM   #6
sirinsidiator

Originally Posted by ZOS_DanBatson View Post
That limitation is a server/bandwidth/spam limitation, not a UI limitation or client limitation. We can pass the request on, but I would expect that it's not in the cards. Sorry, gang.
In that case, maybe at some point you could implement functions to make these changes in bulk? For example a function to start a transaction. Once that is called, the usual functions don't send the requests to the server directly, but instead they are held back until the addon calls the function to finish the transaction, or rolls it back (much like with SQL databases). In the background you can then optimize these calls (group and compress) to minimize the impact on the server.

08/11/18, 10:58 AM   #7
Cardinal05
In that case, maybe at some point you could implement functions to make these changes in bulk? For example a function to start a transaction. Once that is called, the usual functions don't send the requests to the server directly, but instead they are held back until the addon calls the function to finish the transaction, or rolls it back (much like with SQL databases). In the background you can then optimize these calls (group and compress) to minimize the impact on the server.
That would be an awesome alternative. Even a change Position & Orientation function that accepted a basic table of furniture Ids and coords/orientations:

local furnishings = { }

table.insert( furnishings, { id = someFurnitureId, z = 0, y = 0, z = 0, pitch = 0, yaw = 0, roll = 0 } )
table.insert( furnishings, { id = someFurnitureId, z = 0, y = 0, z = 0, pitch = 0, yaw = 0, roll = 0 } )

HousingEditorRequestChangePositionsAndOrientations( furnishings )

If any of that would be possible, that would be a tremendous win for Housing.
(and if not, we understand of course -- I'm super thankful for the stuff you guys have already helped us with! <3)

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Wish List » [rejected] Housing API - Request Governor Limit / Throttling