06/30/23, 12:17 AM   #21
Sharlikran

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
:rolling eyes:

Okay... I mean you are the nicest guy. So I'll try to improve and just for you I edited the post. Sorry about that. I had no idea that would be an offensive analogy. Thanks for pointing that out.

Oh I forgot this old post I never finished.

https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9304

Last edited by Sharlikran : 06/30/23 at 12:22 AM.
06/30/23, 12:25 AM   #22
sinnereso
Originally Posted by Sharlikran View Post
:rolling eyes:

Okay... I mean you are the nicest guy. So I'll try to improve and just for you I edited the post. Sorry about that. I had no idea that would be an offensive analogy. Thanks for pointing that out.

Oh I forgot this old post I never finished.

https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9304
Maybe time to finish that up =p. I'm just looking for help and ideas. Many I can use and modify to fit my needs. But if I haven't yet understood it I cant make it work. Coding isn't just about the functions but the flow! And my flow is IMO vastly different from most, not in a bad way just different. And just so you know I only just started this 4mo ago. I haven't done anything like this in over 25yrs since before visual C so I'm super rusty.

Last edited by sinnereso : 06/30/23 at 12:34 AM.
06/30/23, 12:35 AM   #23
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
I'm the one being attacked multiple times now for asking a question or not understanding the answer.. Either way is that ok? Is that what this forum is for or about? Would you prefer to be here all alone knowing it all talking amongst yourself?
You nailed it, but it's the other way around. YES that's what forums should do. Tell ppl what to look and search for, not provide the whole answer and code and results so they can copy&paste and "sell it and get money".

Simple answer: If multiple guys tell you the same (not attack but criticize you) it would be time to reflect and think about you actually being the problem and improve on it?
Especially if the ones telling you that, directly, are the ones posting the most answers and helping around here since years! Beside that many others have answeres the same to you already before, like "It was said above alreay, read?" etc.

If this is nothing you understand OR want to understand, you should leave this forum.
If you think you COULD improve, please try to and read more sincerely and at least SHOW by your answers then you did read and only got detail questions on 1 of the provided links, go more to detail and do not let us always do so.

"Take your time there" that's what Sharli was about to say with the "squirrel comparison", and he is right even though the words were maybe wrong.

About the linked other threads:
ALL SAID HERE NOW, please do not go on with sarcastic postings and linking other threads as evidence of "what was wrong or not" as this would only leed to more hate...
If you feel something needs to be clarified then please write private message, or better let it be and reflect now.

Last edited by Baertram : 06/30/23 at 01:25 AM.
06/30/23, 06:34 AM   #24
sinnereso
just... WOW

Im not upset about this at all, its more funny than anything. I've said nothing other than ask for help. If he cant HANDLE that then he shouldn't respond. plain and simple

And bear you defending him for being like that just because you likely need his help here is concerning. Noone is forcing anyone to respond and it seems like there's only 2 or 3 left that do, rest probably ran for the hills long ago and for good reason.

After I first joined for example I commented on Inventory Insight that it would be kewl if he added some "get ttc pricing" that I found on the ttc page. I thought It would have been amazing, without knowing or realizing he was also the author of MM. He imediately called me mean and deleted my posts which took me weeks to even understand why. That was our 1st interaction.

Last edited by sinnereso : 06/30/23 at 06:54 AM.
06/30/23, 07:15 AM   #25
ExoY

Originally Posted by sinnereso View Post
just... WOW

[...]

And bear you defending him for being like that just because you likely need his help here is concerning. Noone is forcing anyone to respond and it seems like there's only 2 or 3 left that do, rest probably ran for the hills long ago and for good reason.

[...]
You honestly need to take a step back and rethink some of the stuff you write.

I can attest from experience (also started with no coding background) that the community around esoui/ addon development is very nice and forthcomming.

It is sad, that just because somebody says something you disagree with (in this case baertram) you automatically assume an alternative motive.... thats not a good approach.

I completely understand the frustration some people display with you in the forum.
Generally asking questions is nothing bad, and is what the forum is for but:
  • you often have disregarded solutions or suggestions by people with far more experience than you.
  • it sometimes makes the impression, that you just immediatly post a question when something is not working. I am aware that how to properly debug a problem (seperate into individual tasks, test them seperately etc) is also something that needs to be learned... but I think you definitely should look into that. (e.g. You said you have difficulty with tables. Then just build a few minimalistic examples, play around with it. Look how other addons do stuff and so on)
  • the original aspect of this thread (working with string) is a good example. There are so many examples out there you can find immedietly with google. Of course you often dont find the solution for your exact problem, but all the information are a good starting point to test around. It makes it very hard to believe when you say, you spend so much time looking for some stuff and couldnt find anything.
  • as been pointed out many times, the idea of the forum is not for other people to just give you the solution. There are many people arround here, who probably can fix the problems you post within a few minutes. The goal is rather to give you some general keywords/links for additional resources so you can figure it out yourself..... kinda a "teach a man to fish" thing.

So I agree completely with Baertram, you need to reflect a little on how you use the forum.
06/30/23, 07:46 AM   #26
sinnereso
Originally Posted by ExoY View Post
You honestly need to take a step back and rethink some of the stuff you write.

I can attest from experience (also started with no coding background) that the community around esoui/ addon development is very nice and forthcomming.

It is sad, that just because somebody says something you disagree with (in this case baertram) you automatically assume an alternative motive.... thats not a good approach.

I completely understand the frustration some people display with you in the forum.
Generally asking questions is nothing bad, and is what the forum is for but:
  • you often have disregarded solutions or suggestions by people with far more experience than you.
  • it sometimes makes the impression, that you just immediatly post a question when something is not working. I am aware that how to properly debug a problem (seperate into individual tasks, test them seperately etc) is also something that needs to be learned... but I think you definitely should look into that. (e.g. You said you have difficulty with tables. Then just build a few minimalistic examples, play around with it. Look how other addons do stuff and so on)
  • the original aspect of this thread (working with string) is a good example. There are so many examples out there you can find immedietly with google. Of course you often dont find the solution for your exact problem, but all the information are a good starting point to test around. It makes it very hard to believe when you say, you spend so much time looking for some stuff and couldnt find anything.
  • as been pointed out many times, the idea of the forum is not for other people to just give you the solution. There are many people arround here, who probably can fix the problems you post within a few minutes. The goal is rather to give you some general keywords/links for additional resources so you can figure it out yourself..... kinda a "teach a man to fish" thing.

So I agree completely with Baertram, you need to reflect a little on how you use the forum.
Well in the example of this thread.. It took me nearly a whole day searching just to "discover" those symbols are called magic symbols which is what I needed to be searching for. Its sometimes hard to find what your looking for if you dont know what its even called in the 1st place. I spent 2 days researching them and couldnt find any reference to the capitol S, therefore I couldn't fully understand the sample I was using.

I have considered and maybe I should make a small alternate addon for testing small functions and stuff like that.

My point was I have no hostility to anyone in this thread but have myself been somewhat attacked multiple times. it is better to just not answer someone if your feeling hostile imo and noone is forcing anyone to answer anything.

Last edited by sinnereso : 06/30/23 at 07:53 AM.
06/30/23, 08:53 AM   #27
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Without wanting to blow that up even more, just 1 example how your answers read to me (and I'm really glad that ExoY also seems to have noticed the very same, as his lists concludes about what I got the impression of too):

My point was I have no hostility to anyone in this thread
Originally Posted by sinnereso
And bear you defending him for being like that just because you likely need his help here is concerning.
I call that hostile if you assume stuff and say I'm writing what I write because I need to defend others, because I need them for whatever in the future, and just to have their same opinion?
It's like accusng me for being "on the other side".

But "We got no sides here". It's just that you are opening these sides with your reactions to our critic, like a "mental blockade: They are against me!".
As I wrote above ExoY already summarized that pretty good, thanks for that. I'm no native English speaker so it's hard for me to do it that way.

And you also answered to that how to improve in the future, which is a good reaction, thank you.
06/30/23, 09:04 AM   #28
ExoY

Originally Posted by sinnereso View Post
Well in the example of this thread.. It took me nearly a whole day searching just to "discover" those symbols are called magic symbols which is what I needed to be searching for. Its sometimes hard to find what your looking for if you dont know what its even called in the 1st place. I spent 2 days researching them and couldnt find any reference to the capitol S, therefore I couldn't fully understand the sample I was using.
Make sure to also read the text/websites and not just scim through the code examples.
Especially the lua tutorial and wiki pages.

I just did a small experiment and started a google search with "lua string" and every other subsequent search was only "allowed" if I read the term on a previous found page. (Trying to simulate a google search of somebody who doesnt know any of the terminology).
It took me less then 10minutes to get to the page, Sharlikran posted.

(On which, as mentioned before is the capital S actually mentioned)

I am not doubting the amount of time you invest in researching stuff, but suggesting to rather go into detail with a few rather to click through many. Just as an advise for future google searches
06/30/23, 09:21 AM   #29
votan

@sinnereso
In your code "value" is the string to search in and "zoneName" is the value to search for.
So, you do search for "Galen" in "Tel Galen" and not the other way round.

"value" should be the first parameter.

Just sayin'
06/30/23, 10:03 AM   #30
DakJaniels
Talking eso lua refrences for you @sinnereso

extract this zip, and in the docs folder are HTML pages with lots of useful knowledge
Attached Files
File Type: zip esolua101038.zip (181.5 KB, 237 views)
06/30/23, 10:29 AM   #31
sinnereso
I do thank you all for the advice and help.. It has helped me greatly both learn lua and get my addon working the way I vision it to.

This all started with me thanking for the compliment and had no intentions of it dragging out like this.

I did realize after some time and posted it here that reversing "zoneName" and "value" might be a solution but I halted that realizing it would only be a bandaid fix for only the galen/tel galen issue and might equally cause the same effect in reverse. I decided the zoneName == blacklist(value) or similar solution was the best one for my needs so long as I have a complete accurate list. I up until now have preferred to avoid lists as I was weak in them and keeping them updated might be a pain but for this one exception I've decided to go ahead with it.

And bear.. I do realize assuming is never good thing but I was looking for motives for completely skipping past the name calling in which I only "thanked for the compliment" right to defending someone that wasn't even being attacked, they only assumed they were. I've had enough of all this anyway.

Thank you all for the help! You've been wonderful! God Bless!!

Last edited by sinnereso : 06/30/23 at 10:38 AM.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » string.find or string.match question