06/29/18, 11:13 AM   #1
RT_Frank
Console API?

I am wondering if any of the APIs on the wiki/made available relate to consoles? Or is it only for PC?
06/29/18, 12:07 PM   #2
sirinsidiator

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
PC is the only platform that allows for addons. You'll have to thank Microsoft and Sony for that.
06/29/18, 01:29 PM   #3
RT_Frank
But would the APIs still work for console? For example, I know that there are eso apps for xbox that help with pricing or skyshard locations and I am wondering how they work. Are the developers just manually inputting the data or could the app retrieve the data from eso on xbox through a workable API?
06/29/18, 01:49 PM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
The addons here are no apps but source code which gets loaded into to PC game. Non of the consoles support this so the lua sources from the game is loaded but no addons at all.

If theer are "apps" (not addons) I guess the devs might input the information just manually in their apps somehow.
08/06/18, 10:39 AM   #5
RT_Frank
I think I may be misspeaking here (or I may not).

Basically, there are apps on iPhone/Android that are eso apps for xbox/console for various things, such as price checks, skyshard locations, etc. I want to know how these apps work. Do these authors manually input the locations/prices/etc. or do they pull data from the console?

And if manually input, then could there be an eso app on iphone/android that pulls data from console or is that not possible?
08/06/18, 10:55 AM   #6
SDPhantom

Vendor prices and location data are static information, meaning it never changes, so these things can be hardcoded into different apps since there is no need to read from the game. It's very rare for any game to allow direct access from an external device. Most that offer an app do so through a web service anyone with an internet browser can access. Examples are Armory for WoW and Lodestone for FFXIV.

If you want to look for this kind of info, they're pretty much posted everywhere online, just search Google.

Last edited by SDPhantom : 08/06/18 at 11:01 AM.
08/06/18, 11:03 AM   #7
RT_Frank
Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
Vendor prices and location data are static information, meaning it never changes, so these things can be hardcoded into different apps since there is no need to read from the game. It's very rare for any game to allow direct access from an external device. Most that offer an app do so through a web service anyone with an internet browser can access. Examples are Armory for WoW and Lodestone for FFXIV.
But couldn't you just have the web service within the app?

Also, are the APIs that are provided only for PC? If so, is there a way to get the console APIs?
08/06/18, 11:35 AM   #8
SDPhantom

Originally Posted by RT_Frank View Post
But couldn't you just have the web service within the app?
That isn't how they work. As with all online games, the data for your account and characters is stored on the developer's servers. Your console doesn't know anything other than what the servers tell it at any given time. Since the data is on their servers, they can do whatever they want with it to make these web services.

Originally Posted by RT_Frank View Post
Also, are the APIs that are provided only for PC? If so, is there a way to get the console APIs?
The API addons use are PC only as consoles don't support addons. Furthermore, addons don't have access to anything outside of the game. Even if you were to run the game on a PC, there's no way for an addon to communicate directly with any phone app.

Last edited by SDPhantom : 08/06/18 at 11:39 AM.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Tutorials & Other Helpful Info » Console API?