05/27/14, 03:59 PM   #1
Iyanga
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Question Adding multiple handlers

If a control has a handler already set, for example for "OnMouseEnter", you can add your own handler like this:

local oldHandler = control:GetHandler(event)
control:SetHandler(event, function(...) oldHandler(...) myhandler(...) end)

Unfortunately, this doesn't work when the oldHandler function uses private functions. As the function is now called from the addon environment, this leads to an exception for trying to call a private function.

Any ideas how to circumvent this problem?

I tried assigning the old handler to a global variable and use "CallSecureProtected("myglobalvariablename", ...), but this didn't work either, it's not called at all.
05/27/14, 04:13 PM   #2
ingeniousclown
You could try using ZO_PreHookHandler() that I THINK exists because I THINK I remember hearing someone talking about it in IRC or some other thread...

But I believe that would be a 100% safe way to do what you're wanting UNLESS you absolutely need a post-hook instead...

In a case like that, I'd still prehook and then in the called function, do a zo_callLater(myFunction(myArgs), 25) to make the function fire almost instantly after the handle function. Very hacky, but it works.
05/27/14, 04:34 PM   #3
Vuelhering
haha, yeah... that's just aching for a race condition on a crappy computer.
05/27/14, 07:13 PM   #4
ingeniousclown
Originally Posted by Vuelhering View Post
haha, yeah... that's just aching for a race condition on a crappy computer.
You're not wrong, but if a mouse-over event handler takes more than 25ms to terminate, there's a whole host of other problems.
05/28/14, 01:08 PM   #5
Iyanga
Originally Posted by ingeniousclown View Post
You could try using ZO_PreHookHandler() that I THINK exists because I THINK I remember hearing someone talking about it in IRC or some other thread...
Yeah, that's what I thought, too, couldn't find the thread yesterday though. Guess was blind, I wrote in that thread, too.

ZO_PreHookHandler() works like a charm for my case, no problem with internals overriding my settings afterwards.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Adding multiple handlers