06/25/14, 09:33 PM   #1
BornDownUnder
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
[implemented] API documentation before patch goes beta/live.

I request an addition to the wishlist to have API documentation to be stickied in developer discussion forums, before it goes to PTS, if not possible, at least please release the updated API via documentation before it goes live.

This will not only assist addon authors/developers to keep up to date with API alterations/additions before it takes effect on live servers, it will also prevent alot of forum spamming and flame-wars as a result of addons breaking due to API changes going live before authors can make preparations to patch them.

It will also severely reduce wastage of time spent on PTS by authors of addons (Those that actually do go onto PTS to find out what needs fixing) and will increase efficiency in bug reports by players on said PTS.

At present the addon community is frustrated with the lack of info and even more so with the fact they have to scour through code to compare with the previous API just to see what has changed, let alone the time that then has to be spent in some cases to find a work-around for what bit of code is broken...

The community in general also needs more communication, can see sentiments of being left in the dark growing dramatically, especially after this latest patch.

06/26/14, 12:38 AM   #2
katkat42
This. Heck, I would settle for API changes being released at all, before or at patch time. We got a note last time, but this time, nothing.

06/26/14, 01:38 AM   #3
@AlphaLemming

BornDownUnder /signed

Many other publishers has made soo much mistakes but nobody learns and ZO repeats all mistakes and puts some worst cases on top of that.

06/26/14, 05:18 AM   #4
zgrssd
While I agree that would help, I don't think it is doable.

On the PTS the API is in a permanent state of flux. Developing on the PTS is like trying to work with a specifciaion that changes permanently.

Also in both content updates so far they made a "last minute patches" that were not even on the PTS before going live (1.1.2 and 1.2.3).
They need to focus on the issues from that first before they have time to deal with secondary stuff like the the addon API.

Every work they do for our benefit is work they cannot use for fixing problems. Of wich a game 3 months after launch has naturalyl a lot.

06/26/14, 07:25 AM   #5
BornDownUnder
Originally Posted by zgrssd View Post

On the PTS the API is in a permanent state of flux. Developing on the PTS is like trying to work with a specifciaion that changes permanently.

Also in both content updates so far they made a "last minute patches" that were not even on the PTS before going live (1.1.2 and 1.2.3).
They need to focus on the issues from that first before they have time to deal with secondary stuff like the the addon API.

Every work they do for our benefit is work they cannot use for fixing problems. Of wich a game 3 months after launch has naturalyl a lot.
Quite understandable with last minute changes, it still does not discount the fact that they reach a point where they compile a list of changes and decide to go with those alterations to push a patch live from PTS

It is also quite understandable, especially given the fact the game is still very much in the infancy of its intended/marketed lifespan that addon API does take a back seat to bugs, exploits, etc However they are altering the API and effectively forcing due to a lack of documentation anybody and everybody that wants to develop addons for UI enhancement (which was stated as ZOS intention during beta in regards to keeping a minimalistic UI) to search blindly in the dark for API changes if they want to make sure their addon is up to date or if they want to develop for the future.

Not only would it assist community addon developers, it would help calm down the forums alot more, which in turn would aid ZOS staff right across the board, especially forum staff who have to sift through the pages of flaming due to frustration.

All in all, I think it is quite a reasonable request for just one forum staff member from ZOS to come along and officially document the changes to the API to assist addons developers, as well as more communication in general from ZOS devs which is really needed at all times.

In reality while it may take time, I think the sooner the better for more communication and official feedback on changes before they leave the PTS to hit live servers. Disregarding last minute hot fixes naturally.

Sorry for the length of the post/reply, I guess I am slightly frustrated at the lack of communication and am thoughtful of community addon developers as I am currently trying to get my head around lua coding to assist others and perhaps push out some addons of my own in the future.

All said and done, communication really is key. /end rant.

06/26/14, 07:39 AM   #6
SkOODaT

No reason they can't have ongoing PTS API chsngelog and update it as it fluxes lol

06/26/14, 07:41 AM   #7
Halja

It is very do able!

They have done it in the past up to this point. In the past we have even seen the incremental changes as the patch progressed. When the patches came out ZOS would do a consolidated one which would include the last minute changes. They missed things and I expect that but they would post updates just like they do on the standard patch notes.

The API jumped by three version. That implies in-house had seen and signed off for version control purposes. Why was those stages not shared? Part of testing is to give feedback on the game changes including the API. We had lots of discussions when the restriction to the API hit just before launch. They let us know then what was changing. I don’t understand their choice to not communicate API changes that effect add-on developers just because PST became truly open to the public.
--halja

06/26/14, 08:32 AM   #8
ingeniousclown
While I don't disagree with anything in here, this would probably be more useful of the official ESO forums or even Reddit. I say Reddit because of that time I managed to gather a small army behind me to get a small change implemented in the API.

Maybe Reddit can help us once again! Who wants to lead the charge?

06/26/14, 11:50 AM   #9
Sephiroth018

Originally Posted by ingeniousclown View Post
While I don't disagree with anything in here, this would probably be more useful of the official ESO forums or even Reddit. I say Reddit because of that time I managed to gather a small army behind me to get a small change implemented in the API.

Maybe Reddit can help us once again! Who wants to lead the charge?
At least one user has already posted this on the official forums, but there was no feedback till now.

06/26/14, 01:26 PM   #10
Iyanga
Every work they do for our benefit is work they cannot use for fixing problems.

We DO fix their problems.

06/26/14, 02:13 PM   #11
zgrssd
Originally Posted by Iyanga View Post
We DO fix their problems.
We fill the gaps, till they get around to implement it. Or for the minority that wants to have stuff done a different way.
I fully asume that each of my addons might one day have become as obsolete as BatmanStoreFilter is now.
And I would not mind it - less work for me.

Also as in 1.1, they have a ton of issues after this major content patch:
http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com...nown-issues/p1
(the saved var problem is among them, so a confirmed bug).

06/26/14, 04:48 PM   #12
Sasky

They update the PTS in discreet chunks (1.2.0, 1.2.1, 1.2.2) for content, so there's no reason they can't do that for the API. In fact, I'd be surprised if they do push code to PTS outside those chunks.

As well, if they are updating the API each time, bump the version number each time. They're not going to overflow their version number any time soon.

06/27/14, 03:31 PM   #13
katkat42
Originally Posted by BornDownUnder View Post
Not only would it assist community addon developers, it would help calm down the forums alot more, which in turn would aid ZOS staff right across the board, especially forum staff who have to sift through the pages of flaming due to frustration.
This. Several thousand times this. You would think this alone would be enough motivation.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Wish List » [implemented] API documentation before patch goes beta/live.