02/25/20, 11:25 AM   #1
NeuroticPixels
Addon Addict

Premium Member
Unhappy Loot Alert Erroring; Needs Support

Loot Alert ( https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info2059-LootAlert.html ) is finally erroring after the newest ESO update.

The author hasn't been online since 2018.

Error:
user:/AddOns/LootAlert/LootAlert.lua:942: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
user:/AddOns/LootAlert/LootAlert.lua:942: in function 'LootAlert.OnAddOnLoaded'
|caaaaaa<Locals> event = 65536, addonName = "LootAlert" </Locals>|r

Also, it contains LibAddonMenu-2.0, LibCustomMenu, LibScroll, and LibStub.
If someone can help with fixing the error, I'd like a thorough guide on how to remove the libraries it includes and how to add them to its LootAlert.txt file.

Frankly, I'd prefer someone took over support for this addon to keep it going in the future, but I won't hold my breath. lol

Please help with the error and the txt file entries.
02/25/20, 03:30 PM   #2
votan

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
For your error you can read this: https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8988

In your case line 942.
02/25/20, 03:33 PM   #3
Shadowfen
At line 942 in LootAlert.lua file, change

Code:
SLASH_COMMAND_AUTO_COMPLETE:InvalidateSlashCommandCache()
to

Code:
SlashCommandAutoComplete::InvalidateSlashCommandCache()
This should fix the error.

For removing the embedded libraries:
  • Get the list of libraries that the addon uses/embeds
  • Look on ESOUI to make sure they are available standalone.
  • Download the standalone libraries that you don't already have.
  • Create or modify a line in the <addon name>.txt file (in this case LootAlert.txt) that starts with
    Code:
    ## DependsOn:
    and add to the end of it each library name that LootAlert uses but does not include any more. (Names separated by spaces!)
  • Remove references to the libraries being removed in the files section of <addon name>.txt file (the list of file names that follows the ## lines). Remember that it a library is not available as a standalone, you must leave the entry for it here.
  • Remove the embedded library files that you are replacing with standalone references.
  • Test the addon to see if it works now.
  • Look for and fix (if necessary) LibStub calls for libraries in the addon code. (see below)

The tricky part comes in when the old library uses LibStub and the new standalone no longer supports using LibStub. You will see that when you test the addon and it throws one or more nil index errors. Those will point to uses of the libraries that used to support LibStub but no longer do.

In that case, you will have to find all of the uses of LibStub() in the addon files such as:
Code:
local LAM = LibStub("LibAddonMenu-2.0")
and replace them with
Code:
local LAM = LibAddonMenu2
What you are doing here is replacing the LibStub() call with the new name that the library refers to itself as. You may see this in the library documentation on ESOUI (hopefully), but you will certainly find it in the library .lua file itself. In our example above, the reason that the name was not kept the same is because names (in the second version) are not allowed to have '-' or '.' in them.

Edit:
Oh, and if this is for a private version of the addon you will need to be sure to tell Minion to no longer update this addon, or else Minion will remove all this work that you've done.
02/15/21, 11:59 PM   #4
NeuroticPixels
Addon Addict

Premium Member
Unhappy Can't Figure It Out :(

Man, I tried removing LibStub references in the LootAlert.lua, but I'm just not knowledgeable enough. There's entries in there about LibStub calling LibScroll and stuff... it's just way beyond my experience level with lua. I have no idea how to remove all the libraries that LootAlert comes with, and then fix all the references in the LootAlert.lua.

I got Loot Alert working for myself a long while back (probably a year ago)... but I've since lost the files and I have zero recollection on how I had gotten it to work for me. For all I know, someone else fixed it for me.

I'd go to the source (the author), but they haven't logged into ESOUI since 2018.

Anyone willing to get Loot Alert in working order for me? Without the embedded libraries?
I can pay gold on N.A. for the work. Or we can come to some other kind of deal. Just let me know. I'd really appreciate it.
Loot Alert makes farming raw materials and such so much more fun. I miss it.
02/16/21, 01:56 AM   #5
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Did you search for "loot" via the addons search and checked if there maybe is a similar addon still working?
It's not always neessary to revive old addons if there are replacements.

I know, "changes"... but they provide a real benefit!

In your case here LibScroll e.g. is not available without LibStub so the addon relies on an old lib which needs to be ported to work without LibStub first :-(
I'll give it a try, but PLEASE search for a replacement first. I bet there are several addons providing the same features.

LootAlert v1_0_3
-Fixed the line that caused the errors
-LibStub calls removed
-LibScroll was ported to the "LibScroll" global variable, not using LibStub anymore, added a txt file. It's in the /libs" subfolder now.
All other libraries (LibAddonMenu, LibCustomMenu) were removed! Please install as standalone versions to your live/AddOns folder, via Minion e.g.
The newest versions of them are needed!

Hope it works, it's untested.

If you feel you want to donate something on the NA server, I'm always open for some crafting materials for my char there. Thanks -> @Baertram

Last edited by Baertram : 02/16/21 at 02:08 AM.
02/16/21, 02:41 AM   #6
NeuroticPixels
Addon Addict

Premium Member
Cool Sweet!

Seems to be working great, Baertram! Thank you!
I've tried looking for similar addons. I've been using ESO Farm-Buddy, but it just isn't the same as Loot Alert. So, now, because I'm a nutjob, I'll be using Farm Buddy and Loot Alert to make sure I don't miss anything. Hahahaha.

I'll definitely be sending you some goodies on the NA server side. If you feel at all that whatever I send you is lacking, please let me know. I know it'll be at least 100k gold and some other stuff.
I appreciate you!

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » Loot Alert Erroring; Needs Support